- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of achieve word
- verb achieve If you achieve a particular aim or effect, you succeed in doing it or causing it to happen, usually after a lot of effort. 3
- verb achieve to bring to a successful conclusion; accomplish; attain 3
- verb achieve to gain as by hard work or effort 3
- verb transitive achieve to do; succeed in doing; accomplish 3
- verb transitive achieve to get or reach by exertion; attain; gain 3
- intransitive verb achieve to bring about a desired result; succeed 3
Information block about the term
Origin of achieve
First appearance:before 1275
One of the 13% oldest English words
1275-1325; Middle English acheven < Old French achever to finish, from phrase a chef to (the) head (i.e., to conclusion). See chief
Parts of speech for Achieve
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 87% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
achieve usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for achieve
- conclude — If you conclude that something is true, you decide that it is true using the facts you know as a basis.
- bring about — To bring something about means to cause it to happen.
- win — to finish first in a race, contest, or the like.
- manage — to bring about or succeed in accomplishing, sometimes despite difficulty or hardship: She managed to see the governor. How does she manage it on such a small income?
- obtain — to come into possession of; get, acquire, or procure, as through an effort or by a request: to obtain permission; to obtain a better income.
Antonyms for achieve
- commence — When something commences or you commence it, it begins.
- unsettle — to alter from a settled state; cause to be no longer firmly fixed or established; render unstable; disturb: Violence unsettled the government.
- forfeit — a fine; penalty.
- destroy — To destroy something means to cause so much damage to it that it is completely ruined or does not exist any more.
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
Top questions with achieve
- how to achieve goals?
- how to achieve immortality?
- how to achieve?
- how will this scholarship help you achieve your goals essay?
- how did the north achieve victory in the civil war?
- to achieve its goals what must a government enact?
- how to achieve orgasm?
- how does franklin begin his project to achieve moral perfection?
- how to achieve nirvana?
- how to achieve an orgasm?
- how to achieve happiness?
- what is cloture and why is it hard to achieve?
- how to achieve silver hair?
- what did progressives wish to achieve?
- how to achieve the american dream?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with ach
- Words starting with achi
- Words starting with achie
- Words starting with achiev
- Words starting with achieve
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,h
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i,e
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i,e,v