- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of commence word
- verb commence When something commences or you commence it, it begins. 4
- verb commence to start or begin; come or cause to come into being, operation, etc 4
- intransitive verb commence to begin; start; originate 4
- noun commence Begin; start. 1
- intransitive verb commence begin 1
- verbal expression commence begin an activity, action 1
Information block about the term
Origin of commence
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English commencen < Anglo-French, Middle French comencer < Vulgar Latin *cominitiāre, equivalent to Latin com- com- + initiāre to begin; see initiate
Parts of speech for Commence
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 75% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
commence usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for commence
- initiate — to begin, set going, or originate: to initiate major social reforms.
- begin — To begin to do something means to start doing it.
- inaugurate — to make a formal beginning of; initiate; commence; begin: The end of World War II inaugurated the era of nuclear power.
- take up — the act of taking.
- launch — to set (a boat or ship) in the water.
Antonyms for commence
- complete — You use complete to emphasize that something is as great in extent, degree, or amount as it possibly can be.
- cease — If something ceases, it stops happening or existing.
- close — When you close something such as a door or lid or when it closes, it moves so that a hole, gap, or opening is covered.
- conclude — If you conclude that something is true, you decide that it is true using the facts you know as a basis.
- finish — to bring (something) to an end or to completion; complete: to finish a novel; to finish breakfast.
Top questions with commence
- what does commence mean?
- what is commence?
- what does the word commence mean?
- what is a synonym for commence?
- what does commence mean in french?
- how does a plaintiff commence an action in tort?
- what is the definition of commence?
- how to commence a business?
- what does commence date mean?
- what is another word for commence?
- what is commence mean?
- what is the meaning of the word commence?
- what is the opposite of commence?
- what does confinement to commence mean?
- what is the meaning of commence?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with co
- Words starting with com
- Words starting with comm
- Words starting with comme
- Words starting with commen
- Words starting with commenc
- Words starting with commence
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,o
- Words containing the letters c,o,m
- Words containing the letters c,o,m,e
- Words containing the letters c,o,m,e,n
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?