Words starting with a
1 letter words starting with a
- a — In music, A is the sixth note in the scale of C major.
- a a brill — A(braham) A(rden) 1874–1948, U.S. psychoanalyst and author, born in Austria.
- a bas — down with!
- a battery — the power source for the filaments of electron tubes in battery-operated equipment
- a bean — Alan L(aVern) born 1932, U.S. astronaut.
2 letter words starting with a
- a' — Scot. all: for a' that.
- a- — A- is added to the beginning of some adjectives in order to form adjectives that describe someone or something that does not have the feature or quality indicated by the original word.
- a1 — in good health; physically fit
- a2 — an advanced level of a subject taken for the General Certificate of Education, forming the second part of an A level course, after the AS level
- a3 — a standard paper size, 297 × 420 mm
3 letter words starting with a
- a-1 — noting a vessel regarded by a shipping-classification society as being equipped to the highest standard and with equipment maintained in first-class condition.
- a-t — the 20th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
- a-v — audiovisual
- a/c — a/c is an abbreviation for air-conditioning.
- a/f — as found
4 letter words starting with a
5 letter words starting with a
- a-one — noting a vessel regarded by a shipping-classification society as being equipped to the highest standard and with equipment maintained in first-class condition.
- aalii — a bushy sapindaceous shrub, Dodonaea viscosa, of Australia, Hawaii, Africa, and tropical America, having small greenish flowers and sticky foliage
- aalst — city in WC Belgium, near Brussels: pop. 76,000
- aalto — Alvar (ˈalvar). 1898–1976, Finnish architect and furniture designer, noted particularly for his public and industrial buildings, in which wood is much used. He invented bent plywood furniture (1932)
- aarau — a town in N Switzerland, capital of Aargau canton: capital of the Helvetic Republic from 1798 to 1803. Pop: 15 470 (2000)
6 letter words starting with a
7 letter words starting with a
- a-frame — (of a house) constructed with an A-shaped elevation
- aalborg — a city and port in Denmark, in N Jutland. Pop: 121 549 (2004 est)
- aaronic — of or relating to Aaron, his family, or the priestly dynasty initiated by him
- abacist — a person skilled in using an abacus.
- abaddon — the Devil (Revelation 9:11)
8 letter words starting with a
- a-plenty — in sufficient quantity; in generous amounts (usually used following the noun it modifies): He had troubles aplenty.
- a-sample — the primary urine or blood sample used in doping tests in professional sports; if the A-sample tests positive, the B-sample is tested to confirm or invalidate the results
- aalesund — a seaport in W Norway.
- aardvark — a nocturnal mammal, Orycteropus afer, the sole member of its family (Orycteropodidae) and order (Tubulidentata). It inhabits the grasslands of Africa, has long ears and snout, and feeds on termites
- aardwolf — a nocturnal mammal, Proteles cristatus, that inhabits the plains of southern Africa and feeds on termites and insect larvae: family Hyaenidae (hyenas), order Carnivora (carnivores)
9 letter words starting with a
- aaronical — Aaronic.
- abaciscus — a tessera.
- abactinal — (of organisms showing radial symmetry) situated away from or opposite to the mouth; aboral
- abandoned — An abandoned place or building is no longer used or occupied.
- abandonee — a person to whom something is formally relinquished, esp an insurer having the right to salvage a wreck
10 letter words starting with a
- abacterial — not caused by or characterized by the presence of bacteria
- abalienate — (civil law, transitive) To transfer the title of from one to another; to alienate.
- abandoning — to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
- abaptiston — Surgery. a cone-shaped trephine designed to avoid penetration of the brain when incising the skull.
- abba-dabba — a person or thing of little importance.
11 letter words starting with a
- abandonedly — in an unrestrained manner
- abandonment — The abandonment of a place, thing, or person is the act of leaving it permanently or for a long time, especially when you should not do so.
- abandonware — computer software which is no longer sold or supported by its publisher
- abbevillian — the period represented by Lower Palaeolithic European sites containing the earliest hand axes, dating from the Mindel glaciation
- abbreviated — made into a shorter form
12 letter words starting with a
- a-number-one — noting a vessel regarded by a shipping-classification society as being equipped to the highest standard and with equipment maintained in first-class condition.
- abbreviation — An abbreviation is a short form of a word or phrase, made by leaving out some of the letters or by using only the first letter of each word.
- abbreviatory — shortening
- abd-el-kadir — 1807?–83, Algerian leader.
- abdul-jabbar — Kareem [kuh-reem] /kəˈrim/ (Show IPA), (Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr) born 1947, U.S. basketball player.
13 letter words starting with a
- a-dolls-house — a play (1879) by Henrik Ibsen.
- aaron's-beard — rose of Sharon (def 2).
- abbreviations — a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole, as Dr. for Doctor, U.S. for United States, lb. for pound.
- aberdeenshire — a council area and historical county of N Scotland, on the North Sea: became part of Grampian Region in 1975 but reinstated as an independent unitary authority (with adjusted borders) in 1996: rises to the Grampian and Cairngorm Mountains in the SW: chiefly agricultural (esp sheep and stock raising). Administrative centre: Aberdeen. Pop: 229 330 (2003 est). Area 6319 sq km (2439 sq miles)
- abnormalities — an abnormal condition, state, or quality; irregularity; deviation.
14 letter words starting with a
- abdominoplasty — the surgical removal of excess skin and fat from the abdomen
- above-the-line — denoting entries printed above the horizontal line on a company's profit-and-loss account separating the entries that show how the profit (or loss) was made from the entries showing how the profit is to be distributed
- abovementioned — mentioned or written above: The role was sung by the abovementioned Mr. Phillips.
- absentmindedly — so lost in thought that one does not realize what one is doing, what is happening, etc.; preoccupied to the extent of being unaware of one's immediate surroundings.
- absorbefacient — a medicine or other agent that promotes absorption
15 letter words starting with a
- absent-mindedly — so lost in thought that one does not realize what one is doing, what is happening, etc.; preoccupied to the extent of being unaware of one's immediate surroundings.
- acanthocephalan — any of the parasitic wormlike invertebrates of the phylum Acanthocephala, the adults of which have a spiny proboscis and live in the intestines of vertebrates
- accelerationist — a person, especially an economist, who advocates or promotes the acceleration principle.
- accessorization — to fit or equip with accessories: to accessorize a car with special seat covers.
16 letter words starting with a
18 letter words starting with a
- abortion-on-demand — the right of a woman to have an abortion during the first six months of a pregnancy.
20 letter words starting with a
- abetalipoproteinemia — a rare inherited disorder of fat metabolism due to an inability to synthesize certain apolipoproteins necessary for the transport of triglycerides, leading to diarrhea, steatorrhea, and failure to thrive.
On this page, we collect all words starting with letter A. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 21340 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with A. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.