Words ending with a
1 letter words ending with a
- a — In music, A is the sixth note in the scale of C major.
- a cappella — without instrumental accompaniment
- a la — If you do something à la a particular person, you do it in the same style or in the same way that they would do it.
- a la plancha — (in Spanish cookery) grilled on a metal plate
2 letter words ending with a
- aa — a volcanic rock consisting of angular blocks of lava with a very rough surface
- ba — A BA is a first degree in an arts or social science subject. BA is an abbreviation for 'Bachelor of Arts'.
- ab extra — from the outside.
- ab intra — from within
- ab urbe condita — from the founding of the city (Rome, about 753 b.c.). Abbreviation: A.U.C.
3 letter words ending with a
- aaa — Amateur Athletic Association
- aba — a type of cloth from Syria, made of goat hair or camel hair
- aca — Associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- ada — a high-level computer programming language designed for dealing with real-time processing problems: used for military and other systems
- aea — Atomic Energy Authority
4 letter words ending with a
5 letter words ending with a
- abaca — a Philippine plant, Musa textilis, related to the banana: family Musaceae. Its leafstalks are the source of Manila hemp
- abaya — a loose-fitting, long-sleeved robe worn by Muslim women in Arabic-speaking countries, often with a headscarf or veil
- abuja — the federal capital of Nigeria, in the centre of the country. Pop: 467 000 (2005 est)
- abuna — the title given to the head of the Ethiopian Orthodox church
- abyla — a mountain at Ceuta, N Africa
6 letter words ending with a
7 letter words ending with a
8 letter words ending with a
- abeokuta — a town in W Nigeria, capital of Ogun state. Pop: 487 000 (2005 est)
- abkhazia — a disputed region of NW Georgia, between the Black Sea and the Caucasus Mountains: a subtropical region, with mountains rising over 3900 m (13 000 ft); Abkhazian separatists seized control of the region in 1993; Russia formally recognized it as an independent republic following the Russian-Georgian war of 2008, although Georgia still claims the region as part of its territory. Capital: Sukhumi. Pop: 220 600 (2006 est). Area: 8600 sq km (3320 sq miles)
- abrachia — the congenital condition of having no arms
- abscissa — the horizontal or x-coordinate of a point in a two-dimensional system of Cartesian coordinates. It is the distance from the y-axis measured parallel to the x-axis
- academia — Academia refers to all the academics in a particular country or region, the institutions they work in, and their work.
9 letter words ending with a
- abyssinia — Ethiopia
- acalculia — an inability to make simple mathematical calculations
- acarnania — region on the W coast of ancient Greece
- accademia — an art gallery in Venice housing a collection of paintings by Venetian masters from the 13th to 18th centuries
- achalasia — failure of the cardiac sphincter of the oesophagus to relax, resulting in difficulty in swallowing
10 letter words ending with a
- abba-dabba — a person or thing of little importance.
- acetonemia — ketonemia.
- acetonuria — ketonuria.
- achromasia — Absence of normal skin pigmentation (from bruising, stress or disease); pallor or achromia.
- acromicria — abnormal smallness of the head and extremities.
11 letter words ending with a
- abracadabra — Abracadabra is a word that someone says when they are performing a magic trick in order to make the magic happen.
- acarophobia — a pathological belief that the skin is infested with mites or insects, often leading to self-mutilation in order to eliminate the infestation.
- accordatura — the notes to which a stringed instrument is tuned.
- acidanthera — any plant of the African cormous genus Acidanthera, cultivated for its graceful tubular white and red or white and purple flowers, often scented: family Iridaceae
- acmesthesia — awareness of sharp points through the sense of touch without experiencing pain.
12 letter words ending with a
- aboriginalia — objects from Aboriginal culture used as decorations, esp when they produce a distorted, sentimental view of Aborigines and Aboriginal history
- acciaccatura — a small grace note melodically adjacent to a principal note and played simultaneously with or immediately before it
- acenesthesia — loss of the physical awareness of one's body.
- achlorhydria — the absence of free hydrochloric acid in the gastric juice
- achluophobia — The fear of darkness.
13 letter words ending with a
- acatamathesia — the inability to understand what the senses detect, in particular conversation
- achromatopsia — a visual disorder defined by deficient or absent function in the retinal cones, resulting in colour blindness and in decreased vision in bright lights
- aerodontalgia — a toothache caused by lowered barometric pressure, as in high-altitude flight.
- aeroemphysema — A form of emphysema that results from rapid decompression.
- ajmer-merwara — a former province in NW India. 2400 sq. mi. (6216 sq. km).
14 letter words ending with a
- achondroplasia — a skeletal disorder, characterized by failure of normal conversion of cartilage into bone, that begins during fetal life and results in dwarfism
- acleistocardia — a failure of the foramen ovale of the heart to close.
- acoenaesthesia — loss of the physical awareness of one's body.
- adenocarcinoma — a malignant tumour originating in glandular tissue
- albury-wodonga — a town in SE Australia, in S central New South Wales, on the Murray River: commercial centre of an agricultural region. Pop: 69 880 (2001)
15 letter words ending with a
- achromatophilia — the property of having little or no affinity for stains.
- acousticophobia — Fear of noise.
- aqueous-ammonia — a colorless, pungent, suffocating, highly water-soluble, gaseous compound, NH 3 , usually produced by the direct combination of nitrogen and hydrogen gases: used chiefly for refrigeration and in the manufacture of commercial chemicals and laboratory reagents.
- azuchi-momoyama — a period of Japanese art, 1568–1600, characterized by construction of imposing, elegant castles and small, unadorned teahouses, lavish decorative arts, and bright-colored painting.
- acetyl-coenzyme a — the acetylated form of coenzyme A, formed as an intermediate in the oxidation of carbohydrates, fats, and protein in animal metabolism.
16 letter words ending with a
- acroparaesthesia — a persistent sensation of numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
- adiadochokinesia — the inability to perform rapidly alternating muscular movements, as flexion and extension.
18 letter words ending with a
- agammaglobulinemia — a condition of the blood, either congenital or acquired, in which there is near or complete absence of gamma globulin and a failure of the body to form antibodies, resulting in a frequent occurrence of infectious disease.
- arachibutyrophobia — Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one's mouth.
20 letter words ending with a
- abetalipoproteinemia — a rare inherited disorder of fat metabolism due to an inability to synthesize certain apolipoproteins necessary for the transport of triglycerides, leading to diarrhea, steatorrhea, and failure to thrive.
22 letter words ending with a
- alpha-naphthylthiourea — ANTU.