Words ending with a
1 letter words ending with a
2 letter words ending with a
- aa — a volcanic rock consisting of angular blocks of lava with a very rough surface
- ba — A BA is a first degree in an arts or social science subject. BA is an abbreviation for 'Bachelor of Arts'.
- ab extra — from the outside.
- ab intra — from within
- ab urbe condita — from the founding of the city (Rome, about 753 b.c.). Abbreviation: A.U.C.
3 letter words ending with a
- aaa — Amateur Athletic Association
- aba — a type of cloth from Syria, made of goat hair or camel hair
- aca — Associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- ada — a high-level computer programming language designed for dealing with real-time processing problems: used for military and other systems
- aea — Atomic Energy Authority
4 letter words ending with a
- abba — Swedish pop group (1972–82): comprised Benny Andersson (born 1946), Agnetha Faltskog (born 1950), Anni-Frid Lyngstad (born 1945), and Bjorn Ulvaeus (born 1945); numerous hit singles included "Waterloo" (1974), "Dancing Queen" (1977), and "The Winner Takes It All" (1980)
- abia — a state of SE Nigeria. Capital: Umuahia. Pop: 2 833 999 (2006 est). Area: 6320 sq km (2440 sq miles)
- abta — Association of British Travel Agents
- acca — an academic
- acta — an official record of public events
5 letter words ending with a
- abaca — a Philippine plant, Musa textilis, related to the banana: family Musaceae. Its leafstalks are the source of Manila hemp
- abaya — a loose-fitting, long-sleeved robe worn by Muslim women in Arabic-speaking countries, often with a headscarf or veil
- abuja — the federal capital of Nigeria, in the centre of the country. Pop: 467 000 (2005 est)
- abuna — the title given to the head of the Ethiopian Orthodox church
- abyla — a mountain at Ceuta, N Africa
6 letter words ending with a
7 letter words ending with a
8 letter words ending with a
- abeokuta — a town in W Nigeria, capital of Ogun state. Pop: 487 000 (2005 est)
- abkhazia — a disputed region of NW Georgia, between the Black Sea and the Caucasus Mountains: a subtropical region, with mountains rising over 3900 m (13 000 ft); Abkhazian separatists seized control of the region in 1993; Russia formally recognized it as an independent republic following the Russian-Georgian war of 2008, although Georgia still claims the region as part of its territory. Capital: Sukhumi. Pop: 220 600 (2006 est). Area: 8600 sq km (3320 sq miles)
- abrachia — the congenital condition of having no arms
- abscissa — the horizontal or x-coordinate of a point in a two-dimensional system of Cartesian coordinates. It is the distance from the y-axis measured parallel to the x-axis
- academia — Academia refers to all the academics in a particular country or region, the institutions they work in, and their work.
9 letter words ending with a
- abyssinia — Ethiopia
- acalculia — an inability to make simple mathematical calculations
- acarnania — region on the W coast of ancient Greece
- accademia — an art gallery in Venice housing a collection of paintings by Venetian masters from the 13th to 18th centuries
- achalasia — failure of the cardiac sphincter of the oesophagus to relax, resulting in difficulty in swallowing
10 letter words ending with a
11 letter words ending with a
- abracadabra — Abracadabra is a word that someone says when they are performing a magic trick in order to make the magic happen.
- acarophobia — a pathological belief that the skin is infested with mites or insects, often leading to self-mutilation in order to eliminate the infestation.
- accordatura — the notes to which a stringed instrument is tuned.
- acidanthera — any plant of the African cormous genus Acidanthera, cultivated for its graceful tubular white and red or white and purple flowers, often scented: family Iridaceae
- acmesthesia — awareness of sharp points through the sense of touch without experiencing pain.
12 letter words ending with a
- aboriginalia — objects from Aboriginal culture used as decorations, esp when they produce a distorted, sentimental view of Aborigines and Aboriginal history
- acciaccatura — a small grace note melodically adjacent to a principal note and played simultaneously with or immediately before it
- acenesthesia — loss of the physical awareness of one's body.
- achlorhydria — the absence of free hydrochloric acid in the gastric juice
- achluophobia — The fear of darkness.
13 letter words ending with a
- acatamathesia — the inability to understand what the senses detect, in particular conversation
- achromatopsia — a visual disorder defined by deficient or absent function in the retinal cones, resulting in colour blindness and in decreased vision in bright lights
- aerodontalgia — a toothache caused by lowered barometric pressure, as in high-altitude flight.
- aeroemphysema — A form of emphysema that results from rapid decompression.
- ajmer-merwara — a former province in NW India. 2400 sq. mi. (6216 sq. km).
14 letter words ending with a
- achondroplasia — a skeletal disorder, characterized by failure of normal conversion of cartilage into bone, that begins during fetal life and results in dwarfism
- acleistocardia — a failure of the foramen ovale of the heart to close.
- acoenaesthesia — loss of the physical awareness of one's body.
- adenocarcinoma — a malignant tumour originating in glandular tissue
- albury-wodonga — a town in SE Australia, in S central New South Wales, on the Murray River: commercial centre of an agricultural region. Pop: 69 880 (2001)
15 letter words ending with a
- achromatophilia — the property of having little or no affinity for stains.
- acousticophobia — Fear of noise.
- aqueous-ammonia — a colorless, pungent, suffocating, highly water-soluble, gaseous compound, NH 3 , usually produced by the direct combination of nitrogen and hydrogen gases: used chiefly for refrigeration and in the manufacture of commercial chemicals and laboratory reagents.
- azuchi-momoyama — a period of Japanese art, 1568–1600, characterized by construction of imposing, elegant castles and small, unadorned teahouses, lavish decorative arts, and bright-colored painting.
- acetyl-coenzyme a — the acetylated form of coenzyme A, formed as an intermediate in the oxidation of carbohydrates, fats, and protein in animal metabolism.
16 letter words ending with a
18 letter words ending with a
- agammaglobulinemia — a condition of the blood, either congenital or acquired, in which there is near or complete absence of gamma globulin and a failure of the body to form antibodies, resulting in a frequent occurrence of infectious disease.
- arachibutyrophobia — Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one's mouth.
20 letter words ending with a
- abetalipoproteinemia — a rare inherited disorder of fat metabolism due to an inability to synthesize certain apolipoproteins necessary for the transport of triglycerides, leading to diarrhea, steatorrhea, and failure to thrive.