- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of chinking word
- noun chinking a chinking sound: the chink of ice in a glass. 1
- noun chinking Slang. coin or ready cash. 1
- verb with object chinking to fill up chinks in. 1
- noun chinking The material used to fill the spaces between logs in a log house; caulking. 1
- noun chinking The sound of something that chinks. 0
- verb chinking present participle of chink. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of chinking
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
1350-1400; Middle English; perhaps chine1 + -k suffix (see -ock)
Parts of speech for Chinking
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 88% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
chinking usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for chinking
- sound — The, a strait between SW Sweden and Zealand, connecting the Kattegat and the Baltic. 87 miles (140 km) long; 3–30 miles (5–48 km) wide.
- jangle — to produce a harsh, discordant sound, as two comparatively small, thin, or hollow pieces of metal hitting together: The charms on her bracelet jangle as she moves.
- clang — When a large metal object clangs, it makes a loud noise.
- tinkle — to give forth or make a succession of short, light, ringing sounds, as a small bell.
- tingle — to have a sensation of slight prickles, stings, or tremors, as from cold, a sharp blow, excitement, etc.: I tingle all over.
- clatter — If you say that people or things clatter somewhere, you mean that they move there noisily.
- clink — If objects made of glass, pottery, or metal clink or if you clink them, they touch each other and make a short, light sound.
- ding — to cause surface damage to; dent: Flying gravel had dinged the car's fenders.
- rattle — to give out or cause a rapid succession of short, sharp sounds, as in consequence of agitation and repeated concussions: The windows rattled in their frames.
- reverberate — to reecho or resound: Her singing reverberated through the house.
Top questions with chinking
- what is chinking made of?
- what is chinking?
- what does chinking mean?
- what is chinking material?
- how to make chinking for a log cabin?
- how to make chinking?
- how to make chinking for log home?
- what is chinking for log homes?
- how to apply chinking?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with chi
- Words starting with chin
- Words starting with chink
- Words starting with chinki
- Words starting with chinkin
- Words starting with chinking
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,i
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n,k
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n,k,g