- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of admit word
- verb admit If you admit that something bad, unpleasant, or embarrassing is true, you agree, often unwillingly, that it is true. 3
- verb admit If someone is admitted to hospital, they are taken into hospital for treatment and kept there until they are well enough to go home. 3
- verb admit If someone is admitted to an organization or group, they are allowed to join it. 3
- verb admit To admit someone to a place means to allow them to enter it. 3
- verb admit to confess or acknowledge (a crime, mistake, etc) 3
- verb admit to concede (the truth or validity of something) 3
Information block about the term
Origin of admit
First appearance:before 1375
One of the 22% oldest English words
1375-1425; < Latin admittere, equivalent to ad- ad- + mittere to send, let go; replacing late Middle English amitte, with a- a-5 (instead of ad-) < Middle French amettre < Latin, as above
Parts of speech for Admit
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
admit usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for admit
- grant — to bestow or confer, especially by a formal act: to grant a charter.
- receive — to take into one's possession (something offered or delivered): to receive many gifts.
- permit — to allow to do something: Permit me to explain.
- introduce — to present (a person) to another so as to make acquainted.
- sign — a token; indication.
Antonyms for admit
- deny — When you deny something, you state that it is not true.
- refuse — to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
- disallow — to refuse to allow; reject; veto: to disallow a claim for compensation.
- reject — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
- dispute — to engage in argument or debate.
Top questions with admit
- what does john proctor admit to the court?
- what does admit mean?
- how to admit yourself to a mental hospital?
- how do you spell admit?
- how to admit yourself to a hospital?
- how to get a hospital to admit you?
- what is the opposite of admit?
- how to admit defeat?
- why you want to admit your child in this school?
- how to admit someone to rehab?
- how to admit someone to psychiatric hospital?
- how to admit yourself into a mental hospital?
- when will government admit aliens?
- how to admit someone to a psych ward?
- how to admit you re wrong?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ad
- Words starting with adm
- Words starting with admi
- Words starting with admit
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,d
- Words containing the letters a,d,m
- Words containing the letters a,d,m,i
- Words containing the letters a,d,m,i,t