- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of accept word
- verb accept If you accept something that you have been offered, you say yes to it or agree to take it. 3
- verb accept If you accept an idea, statement, or fact, you believe that it is true or valid. 3
- verb accept If you accept a plan or an intended action, you agree to it and allow it to happen. 3
- verb accept If you accept an unpleasant fact or situation, you get used to it or recognize that it is necessary or cannot be changed. 3
- verb accept If a person, company, or organization accepts something such as a document, they recognize that it is genuine, correct, or satisfactory and agree to consider it or handle it. 3
- verb accept If an organization or person accepts you, you are allowed to join the organization or use the services that are offered. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of accept
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
1350-1400; Middle English accepten < Middle French accepter < Latin acceptare, equivalent to ac- ac- + -cep- take, combining form of cap- + -t- frequentative suffix
Parts of speech for Accept
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
accept usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for accept
- welcome — a kindly greeting or reception, as to one whose arrival gives pleasure: to give someone a warm welcome.
- obtain — to come into possession of; get, acquire, or procure, as through an effort or by a request: to obtain permission; to obtain a better income.
- take — to get into one's hold or possession by voluntary action: to take a cigarette out of a box; to take a pen and begin to write.
- get — to receive or come to have possession, use, or enjoyment of: to get a birthday present; to get a pension.
- acquire — If you acquire something, you buy or obtain it for yourself, or someone gives it to you.
Antonyms for accept
- reject — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
- misunderstand — to take (words, statements, etc.) in a wrong sense; understand wrongly.
- forfeit — a fine; penalty.
- deny — When you deny something, you state that it is not true.
- discard — to cast aside or dispose of; get rid of: to discard an old hat.
- waiver — an intentional relinquishment of some right, interest, or the like.
Top questions with accept
- what credit cards does sam's club accept?
- how to accept a job offer?
- dentist who accept medicaid?
- what credit cards does costco accept?
- what stores accept paypal?
- how to accept yourself?
- doctors who accept medicaid?
- what does accept mean?
- what restaurants accept paypal?
- list of doctors who accept medi cal?
- accept what you can t change?
- when to accept null hypothesis?
- how to accept failure?
- doctors who accept united healthcare community plan?
- what is the difference between accept and except?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with acc
- Words starting with acce
- Words starting with accep
- Words starting with accept
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,e
- Words containing the letters a,c,e,p
- Words containing the letters a,c,e,p,t