- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of deny word
- verb deny When you deny something, you state that it is not true. 3
- verb deny If you deny someone or something, you say that they have no connection with you or do not belong to you. 3
- verb deny If you deny someone something that they need or want, you refuse to let them have it. 3
- verb deny to declare (an assertion, statement, etc) to be untrue 3
- verb deny to reject as false; refuse to accept or believe 3
- verb deny to withhold; refuse to give 3
Information block about the term
Origin of deny
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English denien < Old French denier < Latin dēnegāre. See denegation
Parts of speech for Deny
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
deny usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for deny
- refuse — to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
- revoke — to take back or withdraw; annul, cancel, or reverse; rescind or repeal: to revoke a decree.
- refute — to prove to be false or erroneous, as an opinion or charge.
- contradict — If you contradict someone, you say that what they have just said is wrong, or suggest that it is wrong by saying something different.
- withhold — to hold back; restrain or check.
Antonyms for deny
- ok — all right; proceeding normally; satisfactory or under control: Things are OK at the moment.
- sanction — authoritative permission or approval, as for an action.
- ratify — to confirm by expressing consent, approval, or formal sanction: to ratify a constitutional amendment.
- aid — Aid is money, equipment, or services that are provided for people, countries, or organizations who need them but cannot provide them for themselves.
- assist — If you assist someone, you help them to do a job or task by doing part of the work for them.
Top questions with deny
- what does deny mean?
- how do you spell deny?
- why did peter deny jesus?
- what is deny?
- how to deny in dota 2?
- how to deny a job offer by email?
- why did peter deny jesus three times?
- why do people deny the holocaust?
- why do people deny climate change?
- how to deny a job offer?
- what does it mean to deny yourself?
- how to spell deny?
- you got me so wild how can i ever deny?
- why does elizabeth deny that her husband had an affair?
- what can deny you a passport?
- Words containing the letters d
- Words containing the letters d,e
- Words containing the letters d,e,n
- Words containing the letters d,e,n,y