- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of weirdness word
- adjective weirdness involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird sound; weird lights. 1
- adjective weirdness fantastic; bizarre: a weird getup. 1
- adjective weirdness Archaic. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny. 1
- noun weirdness fate; destiny. 1
- noun weirdness fate (def 6). 1
- noun weirdness (uncountable) The state or quality of being weird. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of weirdness
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (noun) Middle English (northern form of wird), Old English wyrd; akin to worth2; (adj.) Middle English, orig. attributive noun in phrase werde sisters the Fates (popularized as appellation of the witches in Macbeth)
Parts of speech for Weirdness
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 78% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
weirdness usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for weirdness
- strangeness — the quality or condition of being strange.
- oddness — differing in nature from what is ordinary, usual, or expected: an odd choice.
- eeriness — uncanny, so as to inspire superstitious fear; weird: an eerie midnight howl.
- creepiness — having or causing a creeping sensation of the skin, as from horror or fear: a creepy ghost story.
- eccentricity — an oddity or peculiarity, as of conduct: an interesting man, known for his eccentricities.
Antonyms for weirdness
- normality — conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
- as usual — You use as usual to indicate that you are describing something that normally happens or that is normally the case.
- conformity — If something happens in conformity with something such as a law or someone's wishes, it happens as the law says it should, or as the person wants it to.
- regularity — usual; normal; customary: to put something in its regular place.
- sameness — the state or quality of being the same; identity; uniformity.
Top questions with weirdness
- where does the weirdness go?
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with we
- Words starting with wei
- Words starting with weir
- Words starting with weird
- Words starting with weirdn
- Words starting with weirdne
- Words starting with weirdnes
- Words starting with weirdness
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,e
- Words containing the letters w,e,i
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,r
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,r,d
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,r,d,n
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?