- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abasement word
- verb with object abasement to reduce or lower, as in rank, office, reputation, or estimation; humble; degrade. 1
- verb with object abasement Archaic. to lower; put or bring down: He abased his head. 1
- noun abasement The action or fact of abasing or being abased; humiliation or degradation. 1
- noun abasement being degraded 1
- noun abasement The act of abasing, humbling, or bringing low. 0
- noun abasement The state of being abased or humbled; humiliation. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of abasement
First appearance:before 1470
One of the 25% oldest English words
1470-80; a-5 + base2; replacing late Middle English abassen, equivalent to a-5 + bas base2; replacing Middle English abaissen, abe(i)sen < Anglo-French abesser, abaisser, Old French abaissier, equivalent + a- a-5 + -baissier < Vulgar Latin *bassiare, verbal derivative of Late Latin bassus; see base2
Parts of speech for Abasement
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 74% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
abasement usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for abasement
- downgrade — a downward slope, especially of a road.
- shame — the painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc., done by oneself or another: She was overcome with shame.
- dishonor — lack or loss of honor; disgraceful or dishonest character or conduct.
- humiliation — an act or instance of humiliating or being humiliated.
- degradation — You use degradation to refer to a situation, condition, or experience which you consider shameful and disgusting, especially one which involves poverty or immorality.
- humbling — not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
Antonyms for abasement
- upgrade — an incline going up in the direction of movement.
- honor — honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
- aggrandizement — If someone does something for aggrandizement, they do it in order to get power, wealth, and importance for themselves.
- aggrandisement — an act or instance of aggrandizing, or increasing in size, or intensity: aggrandizement of mercantile trade in the early colonies.
- honour — to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.
Top questions with abasement
- what does abasement mean?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with aba
- Words starting with abas
- Words starting with abase
- Words starting with abasem
- Words starting with abaseme
- Words starting with abasemen
- Words starting with abasement
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,s
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,e
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,e,m
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,e,m,n
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?