- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of grit word
- noun grit abrasive particles or granules, as of sand or other small, coarse impurities found in the air, food, water, etc. 1
- noun grit firmness of character; indomitable spirit; pluck: She has a reputation for grit and common sense. 1
- noun grit a coarse-grained siliceous rock, usually with sharp, angular grains. 1
- noun grit British. gravel. 1
- noun grit sand or other fine grainy particles eaten by fowl to aid in digestion. 1
- verb with object grit to cause to grind or grate together. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of grit
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English gret, griet, grit, Old English grēot; cognate with German Griess, Old Norse grjōt pebble, boulder; see grits
Parts of speech for Grit
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 88% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
grit usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for grit
- powder — British Dialect. a sudden, frantic, or impulsive rush.
- dust — earth or other matter in fine, dry particles.
- gravel — small stones and pebbles, or a mixture of these with sand.
- lumps — a piece or mass of solid matter without regular shape or of no particular shape: a lump of coal.
- sand — George [jawrj;; French zhawrzh] /dʒɔrdʒ;; French ʒɔrʒ/ (Show IPA), (Lucile Aurore Dupin Dudevant) 1804–76, French novelist.
- clench — When you clench your fist or your fist clenches, you curl your fingers up tightly, usually because you are very angry.
- grind — to wear, smooth, or sharpen by abrasion or friction; whet: to grind a lens.
- gnash — to grind or strike (the teeth) together, especially in rage or pain.
- grate — a frame of metal bars for holding fuel when burning, as in a fireplace, furnace, or stove.
Antonyms for grit
Top questions with grit
- where was true grit filmed?
- what is grit?
- what does grit mean?
- what is a grit?
- what grit sandpaper?
- what does grit stand for?
- what is grit in education?
- what grit sandpaper for wood?
- what grit sandpaper for car?
- what does true grit mean?
- where was the original true grit filmed?
- what is a grit food?
- how to develop grit?
- where was the movie true grit filmed?
- what grit sandpaper for drywall?
- Words containing the letters g
- Words containing the letters g,r
- Words containing the letters g,r,i
- Words containing the letters g,r,i,t
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?