- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of lumps word
- noun lumps a piece or mass of solid matter without regular shape or of no particular shape: a lump of coal. 1
- noun lumps a protuberance or swelling: a blow that raised a lump on his head. 1
- noun lumps an aggregation, collection, or mass; clump: All the articles were piled in a great lump. 1
- noun lumps Also called lump of sugar. a small block of granulated sugar, designed for sweetening hot coffee, tea, etc.: How many lumps do you take in your coffee? 1
- noun lumps majority; plurality; multitude: The great lump of voters are still undecided. 1
- noun lumps lumps, Informal. harsh criticism, punishment, or defeat: The new theory came in for some lumps when other scholars heard of it. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of lumps
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English lumpe, lomp(e); cognate with early Dutch lompe piece, Danish lump(e) lump, dialectal Norwegian lump block
Parts of speech for Lumps
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
lumps usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for lumps
- punishment — the act of punishing.
- what for — the true nature or identity of something, or the sum of its characteristics: a lecture on the whats and hows of crop rotation.
- sand — George [jawrj;; French zhawrzh] /dʒɔrdʒ;; French ʒɔrʒ/ (Show IPA), (Lucile Aurore Dupin Dudevant) 1804–76, French novelist.
- deserts — something that is deserved or merited; just reward or punishment
- grit — abrasive particles or granules, as of sand or other small, coarse impurities found in the air, food, water, etc.
Antonyms for lumps
- splits — to divide or separate from end to end or into layers: to split a log in two.
- dodges — Third-person singular simple present indicative form of dodge.
- stops — to cease from, leave off, or discontinue: to stop running.
- changes — to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.
- fights — Plural form of fight.
Top questions with lumps
- what do breast cancer lumps feel like?
- how to get lumps out of gravy?
- what do breast lumps feel like?
- how to check for breast lumps?
- what percentage of breast lumps are cancer?
- what does lumps in breast feel like?
- what do cancer lumps feel like?
- how to get rid of gyno lumps?
- what do breast cancer lumps look like?
- Words starting with l
- Words starting with lu
- Words starting with lum
- Words starting with lump
- Words starting with lumps
- Words containing the letters l
- Words containing the letters l,u
- Words containing the letters l,u,m
- Words containing the letters l,u,m,p
- Words containing the letters l,u,m,p,s