- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of cause word
- noun cause a person or thing that acts, happens, or exists in such a way that some specific thing happens as a result; the producer of an effect: You have been the cause of much anxiety. What was the cause of the accident? 1
- noun cause the reason or motive for some human action: The good news was a cause for rejoicing. 1
- noun cause good or sufficient reason: to complain without cause; to be dismissed for cause. 1
- noun cause Law. a ground of legal action; the matter over which a person goes to law. a case for judicial decision. 1
- noun cause any subject of discussion or debate. 1
- noun cause a principle, ideal, goal, or movement to which a person or group is dedicated: the Socialist cause; the human rights cause. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of cause
First appearance:before 1175
One of the 8% oldest English words
1175-1225; Middle English < Latin causa reason, sake, case
Parts of speech for Cause
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
cause usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for cause
- begin — To begin to do something means to start doing it.
- create — To create something means to cause it to happen or exist.
- induce — to lead or move by persuasion or influence, as to some action or state of mind: to induce a person to buy a raffle ticket.
- produce — to bring into existence; give rise to; cause: to produce steam.
- precipitate — to hasten the occurrence of; bring about prematurely, hastily, or suddenly: to precipitate an international crisis.
- reason — a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.
- grounds — the solid surface of the earth; firm or dry land: to fall to the ground.
- source — any thing or place from which something comes, arises, or is obtained; origin: Which foods are sources of calcium?
- root — Elihu [el-uh-hyoo] /ˈɛl əˌhyu/ (Show IPA), 1845–1937, U.S. lawyer and statesman: Nobel Peace Prize 1912.
- origin — something from which anything arises or is derived; source; fountainhead: to follow a stream to its origin.
Antonyms for cause
- destroy — To destroy something means to cause so much damage to it that it is completely ruined or does not exist any more.
- ruin — ruins, the remains of a building, city, etc., that has been destroyed or that is in disrepair or a state of decay: We visited the ruins of ancient Greece.
- prevent — to keep from occurring; avert; hinder: He intervened to prevent bloodshed.
- delay — If you delay doing something, you do not do it immediately or at the planned or expected time, but you leave it until later.
- deter — To deter someone from doing something means to make them not want to do it or continue doing it.
- effect — something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
- discouragement — an act or instance of discouraging.
- result — to spring, arise, or proceed as a consequence of actions, circumstances, premises, etc.; be the outcome.
- conclusion — When you come to a conclusion, you decide that something is true after you have thought about it carefully and have considered all the relevant facts.
- neglect — to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight: The public neglected his genius for many years.
Top questions with cause
- what cause hiccups?
- what cause kidney stone?
- what cause kidney stones?
- what cause high blood pressure?
- what cause hemorrhoids?
- what cause diarrhea?
- what cause legs cramps?
- what cause canker sores?
- what cause gout?
- what cause low blood pressure?
- what cause leg cramps?
- what cause skin tags?
- what cause headache?
- what cause headaches?
- what cause?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ca
- Words starting with cau
- Words starting with caus
- Words starting with cause
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,a
- Words containing the letters c,a,u
- Words containing the letters c,a,u,s
- Words containing the letters c,a,u,s,e