- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of warp word
- abbreviation Technical meaning of WARP OS/2 3
- verb with object warp to bend or twist out of shape, especially from a straight or flat form, as timbers or flooring. 1
- verb with object warp to bend or turn from the natural or true direction or course. 1
- verb with object warp to distort or cause to distort from the truth, fact, true meaning, etc.; bias; falsify: Prejudice warps the mind. 1
- verb with object warp Aeronautics. to curve or bend (a wing or other airfoil) at the end or ends to promote equilibrium or to secure lateral control. 1
- verb with object warp Nautical. to move (a vessel) into a desired place or position by hauling on a rope that has been fastened to something fixed, as a buoy or anchor. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of warp
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (v.) Middle English werpen, Old English weorpan to throw; cognate with German werfen, Old Norse verpa, Gothic wairpan; (noun) Middle English warpe, Old English wearp; cognate with German Warf, Old Norse varp
Parts of speech for Warp
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
warp usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for warp
- distort — to twist awry or out of shape; make crooked or deformed: Arthritis had distorted his fingers.
- deform — If something deforms a person's body or something else, it causes it to have an unnatural shape. In technical English, you can also say that the second thing deforms.
- bend — When you bend, you move the top part of your body downwards and forwards. Plants and trees also bend.
- twist — to combine, as two or more strands or threads, by winding together; intertwine.
- buckle — A buckle is a piece of metal or plastic attached to one end of a belt or strap, which is used to fasten it.
Antonyms for warp
- straighten — make straight
- beautify — If you beautify something, you make it look more beautiful.
- clean — Something that is clean is free from dirt or unwanted marks.
- improve — to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins to improve his health.
- praise — the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
Top questions with warp
- how fast is warp speed?
- how to warp an image in photoshop?
- how does warp drive work?
- how to use puppet warp?
- what is warp speed?
- what does warp mean?
- what causes rotors to warp?
- how fast is warp 9?
- what is warp?
- doctor who time warp?
- how to warp in photoshop?
- how fast is warp 1?
- what is a time warp?
- what causes brake rotors to warp?
- how to warp a loom?
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,a
- Words containing the letters w,a,r
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,p
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?