- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of clean word
- adjective clean Something that is clean is free from dirt or unwanted marks. 3
- adjective clean You say that people or animals are clean when they keep themselves or their surroundings clean. 3
- adjective clean A clean fuel or chemical process does not create many harmful or polluting substances. 3
- verb clean If you clean something or clean dirt off it, you make it free from dirt and unwanted marks, for example by washing or wiping it. If something cleans easily, it is easy to clean. 3
- verb clean Clean is also a noun. 3
- verb clean If you clean a room or house, you make the inside of it and the furniture in it free from dirt and dust. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of clean
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English clene, Old English clǣne pure, clear, cognate with Old High German kleini (German klein small)
Parts of speech for Clean
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
clean usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for clean
- hygienic — conducive to good health; healthful; sanitary.
- unblemished — to destroy or diminish the perfection of: The book is blemished by those long, ineffective descriptions.
- simple — easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.: a simple matter; simple tools.
- clear — Something that is clear is easy to understand, see, or hear.
- tidy — neat, orderly, or trim, as in appearance or dress: a tidy room; a tidy person.
- cleanly — in a fair manner
- sterile — free from living germs or microorganisms; aseptic: sterile surgical instruments.
- untainted — a trace of something bad, offensive, or harmful.
- shipshape — in good order; well-arranged; trim or tidy.
- spick-and-span — spotlessly clean and neat: a spick-and-span kitchen.
- virtuous — conforming to moral and ethical principles; morally excellent; upright: Lead a virtuous life.
- scour — to range over, as in a search: They scoured the countryside for the lost child.
- wipe — to rub lightly with or on a cloth, towel, paper, the hand, etc., in order to clean or dry the surface of: He wiped the furniture with a damp cloth.
- cleanse — To cleanse a place, person, or organization of something dirty, unpleasant, or evil means to make them free from it.
- dust — earth or other matter in fine, dry particles.
- vacuum — a space entirely devoid of matter.
Antonyms for clean
- unclean — not clean; dirty.
- complicated — If you say that something is complicated, you mean it has so many parts or aspects that it is difficult to understand or deal with.
- unclear — free from darkness, obscurity, or cloudiness; light: a clear day.
- unintelligible — not intelligible; not capable of being understood.
- aware — If you are aware of something, you know about it.
- soil — the act or fact of soiling.
- spend — to pay out, disburse, or expend; dispose of (money, wealth, resources, etc.): resisting the temptation to spend one's money.
- worsen — Make or become worse.
- pollute — to make foul or unclean, especially with harmful chemical or waste products; dirty: to pollute the air with smoke.
- ruin — ruins, the remains of a building, city, etc., that has been destroyed or that is in disrepair or a state of decay: We visited the ruins of ancient Greece.
Top questions with clean
- how to clean makeup brushes?
- how to clean a keurig?
- how to clean suede shoes?
- how to clean white converse?
- how to clean suede?
- how to clean silver?
- how to clean headlights?
- how to clean a dishwasher?
- how to clean dishwashers?
- how to clean keurig?
- how to clean dishwasher?
- how to clean cast iron?
- how to clean coffee pot with vinegar?
- how to clean stainless steel?
- how to clean iphone?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with cl
- Words starting with cle
- Words starting with clea
- Words starting with clean
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,l
- Words containing the letters c,l,e
- Words containing the letters c,l,e,a
- Words containing the letters c,l,e,a,n