- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of warhorse word
- noun warhorse a horse used in war; charger. 1
- noun warhorse Informal. a veteran, as a soldier or politician, of many struggles and conflicts. 1
- noun warhorse a musical composition, play, etc., that has been seen, heard, or performed excessively. 1
- noun warhorse (in historical contexts) a large, powerful horse ridden in battle. 1
- noun warhorse veteran, sb old and experienced 1
- countable noun warhorse You can refer to someone such as an old soldier or politician who is still active and aggressive as a warhorse. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of warhorse
First appearance:before 1645
One of the 44% oldest English words
First recorded in 1645-55; war1 + horse
Parts of speech for Warhorse
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 40% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
warhorse usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for warhorse
- veteran — a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.
- campaigner — A campaigner is a person who campaigns for social or political change.
- warrior — a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
- stalwart — strongly and stoutly built; sturdy and robust.
- old hand — a person who is experienced in or familiar with a subject, area, procedure, etc.: The guide you just hired is an old hand at leading safaris.
- able — Someone who is able is very clever or very good at doing something.
- skillful — having or exercising skill: a skillful juggler.
- accomplished — If someone is accomplished at something, they are very good at it.
- adequate — If something is adequate, there is enough of it or it is good enough to be used or accepted.
- capable — If a person or thing is capable of doing something, they have the ability to do it.
Antonyms for warhorse
- ignorant — lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
- impotent — not potent; lacking power or ability.
- inadequate — not adequate or sufficient; inept or unsuitable.
- incapable — not capable.
- incompetent — not competent; lacking qualification or ability; incapable: an incompetent candidate.
Top questions with warhorse
- how to get vicious skeletal warhorse?
- how to get the warhorse in red dead redemption?
- where is warhorse on?
- where is warhorse playing in london?
- where was warhorse filmed?
- what theatre is warhorse showing?
- where is warhorse showing?
- where is warhorse playing?
- which theatre is warhorse in london?
- where is warhorse on in london?
- where is fob warhorse?
- where is warhorse set?
- how long is warhorse play?
- where is warhorse showing in london?
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with wa
- Words starting with war
- Words starting with warh
- Words starting with warho
- Words starting with warhor
- Words starting with warhors
- Words starting with warhorse
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,a
- Words containing the letters w,a,r
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,h
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,h,o
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,h,o,s