- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of tab word
- abbreviation Technical meaning of TAB ht 3
- noun tab tabloid (def 1). 1
- noun tab Slang. a tablet, as of a drug or medication. 1
- verb with object tab to furnish or ornament with a tab or tabs. 1
- verb with object tab to name or designate. 1
- verb without object tab to operate the tab function on a typewriter or computer. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of tab
First appearance:before 1600
One of the 39% oldest English words
1600-10; most senses of unknown origin;in def 7 short for tabulator; in def 10 short for tableau; in defs 4, 15 short for table
Parts of speech for Tab
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
tab usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for tab
- account payable — a current liability account showing amounts payable by a firm to suppliers for purchases of materials, stocks, or services on credit
- account — If you have an account with a bank or a similar organization, you have an arrangement to leave your money there and take some out when you need it.
- act curtain — Theater. a curtain for closing the proscenium opening between acts or scenes.
- amount — The amount of something is how much there is, or how much you have, need, or get.
- amphetamine — Amphetamine is a drug which increases people's energy, makes them excited, and reduces their desire for food.
- add up — If facts or events do not add up, they make you confused about a situation because they do not seem to be consistent. If something that someone has said or done adds up, it is reasonable and sensible.
- arrest — If the police arrest you, they take charge of you and take you to a police station, because they believe you may have committed a crime.
- assign — If you assign a piece of work to someone, you give them the work to do.
- blueprinting — a process of photographic printing, used chiefly in copying architectural and mechanical drawings, which produces a white line on a blue background.
- break down — If a machine or a vehicle breaks down, it stops working.
Top questions with tab
- how many space is a tab?
- how many spaces is a tab?
- how to reopen a closed tab?
- wake me up when september ends tab?
- for whom the bell tolls tab?
- where is my mind tab?
- how to take a screenshot on galaxy tab?
- how to reset samsung tab 3?
- when you were young bass tab?
- why georgia tab?
- how to add the developer tab to the ribbon?
- the man who sold the world tab?
- how to make an incognito tab?
- what i got tab?
- how to reset samsung galaxy tab 3?