- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abridged word
- adjective abridged An abridged book or play has been made shorter by removing some parts of it. 3
- adjective abridged shortened; condensed 3
- verb with object abridged to shorten by omissions while retaining the basic contents: to abridge a reference book. 1
- verb with object abridged to reduce or lessen in duration, scope, authority, etc.; diminish; curtail: to abridge a visit; to abridge one's freedom. 1
- verb with object abridged to deprive; cut off. 1
- noun abridged Cut or shortened, especially of a literary work. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of abridged
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
1350-1400; Middle English abreggen, abriggen < Middle French abreg(i)er < Late Latin abbreviāre to shorten. See a-4, abbreviate
Parts of speech for Abridged
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 78% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
abridged usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for abridged
- edited — to supervise or direct the preparation of (a newspaper, magazine, book, etc.); serve as editor of; direct the editorial policies of.
- condensed — A condensed book, explanation, or piece of information has been made shorter, usually by including only the most important parts.
- reduced — that is or has been reduced.
- abbreviated — made into a shorter form
- potted — placed or enclosed in a pot.
- cut — If you cut something, you use a knife or a similar tool to divide it into pieces, or to mark it or damage it. If you cut a shape or a hole in something, you make the shape or hole by using a knife or similar tool.
- half-length — something that is only half a full length or height, especially a portrait that shows only the upper half of the body, including the hands.
Antonyms for abridged
Top questions with abridged
- what does abridged mean?
- what is abridged?
- what is the difference between abridged and unabridged?
- what is an abridged book?
- what does abridged?
- what is the difference between abridged and unabridged audiobooks?
- what is the meaning of abridged?
- what is the difference between unabridged and abridged?
- what does abridged audiobook mean?
- what does abridged version mean?
- what is abridged birth certificate?
- what is an abridged theory test?
- what does abridged edition mean?
- what is an abridged birth certificate?
- what is abridged version?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with abr
- Words starting with abri
- Words starting with abrid
- Words starting with abridg
- Words starting with abridge
- Words starting with abridged
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,r
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,i
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,i,d
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,i,d,g
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?