- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abduct word
- verb abduct If someone is abducted by another person, he or she is taken away illegally, usually using force. 3
- verb abduct to remove (a person) by force or cunning; kidnap 3
- verb abduct (of certain muscles) to pull (a leg, arm, etc) away from the median axis of the body 3
- verb transitive abduct to take (a person) away unlawfully and by force or fraud; kidnap 3
- verb transitive abduct to pull (a part of the body) away from the median axis: said of a muscle 3
- verb with object abduct to carry off or lead away (a person) illegally and in secret or by force, especially to kidnap. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of abduct
First appearance:before 1825
One of the 37% newest English words
1825-35; < Latin abductus, past participle of abdūcere to abduce
Parts of speech for Abduct
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 78% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
abduct usage trend in LiteratureThis diagram is provided by Google Ngram Viewer
Synonyms for abduct
- snatch — to make a sudden effort to seize something, as with the hand; grab (usually followed by at).
- kidnap — to steal, carry off, or abduct by force or fraud, especially for use as a hostage or to extract ransom.
- seize — to take hold of suddenly or forcibly; grasp: to seize a weapon.
- grab — to seize suddenly or quickly; snatch; clutch: He grabbed me by the collar.
- shanghai — to enroll or obtain (a sailor) for the crew of a ship by unscrupulous means, as by force or the use of liquor or drugs.
Antonyms for abduct
- adduct — (of a muscle) to draw or pull (a leg, arm, etc) towards the median axis of the body
Top questions with abduct
- how do aliens choose who to abduct?
- what is the meaning of abduct?
- why aliens abduct humans?
- what muscles abduct the shoulder?
- what do aliens do when they abduct you?
- how to get aliens to abduct you?
- why do aliens abduct cows?
- why did hades abduct persephone?
- what is abduct?
- what muscles abduct the arm?
- what does the word abduct mean?
- what muscles abduct the hip?
- who do aliens abduct?
- how to abduct a highland lord?
- what does abduct?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with abd
- Words starting with abdu
- Words starting with abduc
- Words starting with abduct
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,d
- Words containing the letters a,b,d,u
- Words containing the letters a,b,d,u,c
- Words containing the letters a,b,d,u,c,t