- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈfɒl oʊ ɪŋ/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈfɒl oʊ ɪŋ/
Definitions of following word
- noun following the act of following. 1
- noun following Billiards, Pool. follow shot (def 2). 1
- noun following follow-up (def 3). 1
- adjective following that follows or moves in the same direction: a following wind. 1
- adjective following that comes after or next in order or time; ensuing: the following day. 1
- adjective following that is now to follow; now to be mentioned, described, related, or the like: Check the following report for details. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of following
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
First recorded in 1250-1300, following is from the Middle English word folwing. See follow, -ing1, -ing2
Parts of speech for Following
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
following usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for following
- subsequent — occurring or coming later or after (often followed by to): subsequent events; Subsequent to their arrival in Chicago, they bought a new car.
- coming — A coming event or time is an event or time that will happen soon.
- successive — following in order or in uninterrupted sequence; consecutive: three successive days.
- consecutive — Consecutive periods of time or events happen one after the other without interruption.
- hinder — to cause delay, interruption, or difficulty in; hamper; impede: The storm hindered our progress.
- audience — The audience at a play, concert, film, or public meeting is the group of people watching or listening to it.
- patronage — the financial support or business provided to a store, hotel, or the like, by customers, clients, or paying guests.
- group — any collection or assemblage of persons or things; cluster; aggregation: a group of protesters; a remarkable group of paintings.
- cortege — A cortege is a procession of people who are walking or riding in cars to a funeral.
- coterie — A coterie of a particular kind is a small group of people who are close friends or have a common interest, and who do not want other people to join them.
- continuously — uninterrupted in time; without cessation: continuous coughing during the concert.
- in order — an authoritative direction or instruction; command; mandate.
- afterwhile — (US, dialect) afterwards.
- successively — following in order or in uninterrupted sequence; consecutive: three successive days.
Antonyms for following
- preceding — that precedes; previous: Refer back to the footnote on the preceding page.
- front — the foremost part or surface of anything.
- leading — made of or containing lead: a lead pipe; a lead compound.
- first — being before all others with respect to time, order, rank, importance, etc., used as the ordinal number of one: the first edition; the first vice president.
- previous — coming or occurring before something else; prior: the previous owner.
Top questions with following
- which of the following is not a fat soluble vitamin?
- which of the following is a nonrenewable resource?
- who is following me on facebook?
- which of the following statements about adaptive radiation is correct?
- which of the following?
- which of the following is a characteristic of all minerals?
- which of the following compounds has the highest boiling point?
- how to see who is following you on facebook?
- which of the following is correct?
- which of the following statements is most accurate?
- which of the following is recommended when docking your boat?
- which of the following is not true?
- which of the following events occurs during transcription?
- which of the following is a definition of ethic?
- which of the following is a military courtesy?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fo
- Words starting with fol
- Words starting with foll
- Words starting with follo
- Words starting with follow
- Words starting with followi
- Words starting with followin
- Words starting with following
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,o
- Words containing the letters f,o,l
- Words containing the letters f,o,l,w
- Words containing the letters f,o,l,w,i
- Words containing the letters f,o,l,w,i,n