- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of first word
- adjective first being before all others with respect to time, order, rank, importance, etc., used as the ordinal number of one: the first edition; the first vice president. 2
- adjective first Music. highest or chief among several voices or instruments of the same class: first alto; first horn. 1
- adjective first Automotive. low1 (def 31). 1
- adjective first (often initial capital letter) being a member of the household or an intimate acquaintance of the president of the U.S. or of the governor of a state: the First Lady; Checkers, the first dog. 1
- adverb first before all others or anything else in time, order, rank, etc. 1
- adverb first before some other thing, event, etc.: If you're going, phone first. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of first
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English; Old English fyr(e)st (see fore1, -est1); cognate with German Fürst prince
Parts of speech for First
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
first usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for first
- early — in or during the first part of a period of time, a course of action, a series of events, etc.: early in the year.
- prime — of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration: a prime requisite.
- antecedent — An antecedent of something happened or existed before it and was similar to it in some way.
- head — Edith, 1897–1981, U.S. costume designer.
- premier — the head of the cabinet in France or Italy or certain other countries; first minister; prime minister.
- earliest — in or during the first part of a period of time, a course of action, a series of events, etc.: early in the year.
- former — preceding in time; prior or earlier: during a former stage in the proceedings.
- elementary — Of or relating to the most rudimentary aspects of a subject.
- primaeval — of or relating to the first age or ages, especially of the world: primeval forms of life.
- eminent — (of a person) Famous and respected within a particular sphere or profession.
- alpha — the first letter in the Greek alphabet (Α, α), a vowel transliterated as a
- best — Best is the superlative of good.
- initials — of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: the initial step in a process.
- prizewinner — a person or thing that wins a prize or is deserving of a prize.
- mock up — a contemptuous or derisive imitative action or speech; mockery or derision.
- originator — to take its origin or rise; begin; start; arise: The practice originated during the Middle Ages.
Antonyms for first
- following — the act of following.
- auxiliary — An auxiliary is a person who is employed to assist other people in their work. Auxiliaries are often medical workers or members of the armed forces.
- trivial — of very little importance or value; insignificant: Don't bother me with trivial matters.
- unimportant — of much or great significance or consequence: an important event in world history.
- minor — lesser, as in size, extent, or importance, or being or noting the lesser of two: a minor share.
- finally — at the final point or moment; in the end.
- lastly — in conclusion; in the last place; finally.
Top questions with first
- when was the first traffic light installed?
- when is the first day of spring?
- when is the first day of fall?
- who was the first president?
- when is the first day of summer?
- when is the first day of winter?
- what came first the chicken or the egg?
- what is the first amendment?
- who was the first us president to appear on television?
- when does first trimester end?
- who won the first super bowl?
- when was the first?
- who was the first president of the united states?
- when was the first car made?
- who was the first slave owner?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fir
- Words starting with firs
- Words starting with first
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,r
- Words containing the letters f,i,r,s
- Words containing the letters f,i,r,s,t