- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of clap word
- verb clap When you clap, you hit your hands together to show appreciation or attract attention. 3
- verb clap Clap is also a noun. 3
- verb clap If you clap your hand or an object onto something, you put it there quickly and firmly. 3
- verb clap If you clap someone on the back or on the shoulder, you hit their back or shoulder with your hand in a friendly way. 3
- countable noun clap A clap of thunder is a sudden and loud noise of thunder. 3
- verb clap to make or cause to make a sharp abrupt sound, as of two nonmetallic objects struck together 3
Information block about the term
Origin of clap
First appearance:before 1175
One of the 8% oldest English words
1175-1225; Middle English clappen, Old English clæppan; cognate with Middle Low German kleppen
Parts of speech for Clap
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 85% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
clap usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for clap
- cheer — When people cheer, they shout loudly to show their approval or to encourage someone who is doing something such as taking part in a game.
- pat — to strike lightly or gently with something flat, as with a paddle or the palm of the hand, usually in order to flatten, smooth, or shape: to pat dough into flat pastry forms.
- bang — A bang is a sudden loud noise such as the noise of an explosion.
- slap — a gap or opening, as in a fence, wall, cloud bank, or line of troops.
- approve — If you approve of an action, event, or suggestion, you like it or are pleased about it.
- tap — Telocator Alphanumeric Protocol
- thrust — to push forcibly; shove; put or drive with force: He thrust his way through the crowd. She thrust a dagger into his back.
- wallop — to beat soundly; thrash.
- applause — Applause is the noise made by a group of people clapping their hands to show approval.
- blast — A blast is a big explosion, especially one caused by a bomb.
Antonyms for clap
- disapprove — to think (something) wrong or reprehensible; censure or condemn in opinion.
- censure — If you censure someone for something that they have done, you tell them that you strongly disapprove of it.
- denounce — If you denounce a person or an action, you criticize them severely and publicly because you feel strongly that they are wrong or evil.
- boo — If you boo a speaker or performer, you shout 'boo' or make other loud sounds to indicate that you do not like them, their opinions, or their performance.
Top questions with clap
- what is the clap?
- what has hands but cannot clap?
- when do babies clap?
- why is gonorrhea called the clap?
- why is it called the clap?
- what is clap?
- how to make your ass clap?
- why do we clap?
- what age do babies clap?
- why do they call gonorrhea the clap?
- why do they call it the clap?
- the guess who clap for the wolfman?
- how to make it clap?
- how to clap?
- how to make your butt clap?
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,l
- Words containing the letters c,l,a
- Words containing the letters c,l,a,p