- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of acclaimed word
- adjective acclaimed publicly acknowledged as excellent 3
- verb with object acclaimed to welcome or salute with shouts or sounds of joy and approval; applaud: to acclaim the conquering heroes. 1
- verb with object acclaimed to announce or proclaim with enthusiastic approval: to acclaim the new king. 1
- verb without object acclaimed to make acclamation; applaud. 1
- noun acclaimed acclamation (defs 1, 2). 1
- noun acclaimed Praise enthusiastically and publicly. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of acclaimed
First appearance:before 1630
One of the 42% oldest English words
From the Latin word acclāmāre, dating back to 1630-40. See ac-, claim
Parts of speech for Acclaimed
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 86% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
acclaimed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for acclaimed
- renowned — celebrated; famous.
- cheered — a shout of encouragement, approval, congratulation, etc.: The cheers of the fans filled the stadium.
- hailed — to pour down on as or like hail: The plane hailed leaflets on the city.
- lauded — to praise; extol.
- praised — the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
Antonyms for acclaimed
- criticized — to censure or find fault with.
- condemned — A condemned man or woman is going to be executed.
- discouraged — to deprive of courage, hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.
- reproached — to find fault with (a person, group, etc.); blame; censure.
- berated — to scold; rebuke: He berated them in public.
Top questions with acclaimed
- what does critically acclaimed mean?
- what does acclaimed mean?
- what does critically acclaimed movies mean?
- what is critically acclaimed?
- what does self acclaimed mean?
- what is the meaning of acclaimed?
- what is acclaimed?
- what does highly acclaimed mean?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with acc
- Words starting with accl
- Words starting with accla
- Words starting with acclai
- Words starting with acclaim
- Words starting with acclaime
- Words starting with acclaimed
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,l
- Words containing the letters a,c,l,i
- Words containing the letters a,c,l,i,m
- Words containing the letters a,c,l,i,m,e
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?