- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ækˈsɛp tɪd/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ækˈsɛp tɪd/
Definitions of accepted word
- adjective accepted Accepted ideas are agreed by most people to be correct or reasonable. 3
- adjective accepted commonly approved or recognized; customary; established 3
- adjective accepted generally regarded as true, valid, proper, etc.; conventional; approved 3
- adjective accepted generally approved; usually regarded as normal, right, etc.: an accepted pronunciation of a word; an accepted theory. 1
- verb with object accepted to take or receive (something offered); receive with approval or favor: to accept a present; to accept a proposal. 1
- verb with object accepted to agree or consent to; accede to: to accept a treaty; to accept an apology. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of accepted
First appearance:before 1485
One of the 25% oldest English words
First recorded in 1485-95; accept + -ed2
Parts of speech for Accepted
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 91% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
accepted usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for accepted
- confirmed — You use confirmed to describe someone who has a particular habit or belief that they are very unlikely to change.
- customary — Customary is used to describe things that people usually do in a particular society or in particular circumstances.
- sanctioned — authoritative permission or approval, as for an action.
- received — generally or traditionally accepted; conventional; standard: a received moral idea.
- welcomed — a kindly greeting or reception, as to one whose arrival gives pleasure: to give someone a warm welcome.
- traditional — of or relating to tradition.
- recognised — to identify as something or someone previously seen, known, etc.: He had changed so much that one could scarcely recognize him.
- established — (of a custom, belief, practice, or institution) Having been in existence for a long time and therefore recognized and generally accepted.
- acceptable — Acceptable activities and situations are those that most people approve of or consider to be normal.
- undisputed — to engage in argument or debate.
- putative — commonly regarded as such; reputed; supposed: the putative boss of the mob.
- known — past participle of know1 .
- believed — to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.
Antonyms for accepted
- abnormal — Someone or something that is abnormal is unusual, especially in a way that is worrying.
- unusual — not usual, common, or ordinary; uncommon in amount or degree; exceptional: an unusual sound; an unusual hobby; an unusual response.
- unpopular — not popular; disliked or ignored by the public or by persons generally.
- questionable — of doubtful propriety, honesty, morality, respectability, etc.: questionable activities; in questionable taste.
- unconventional — not conventional; not bound by or conforming to convention, rule, or precedent; free from conventionality: an unconventional artist; an unconventional use of material.
Top questions with accepted
- where is apple pay accepted?
- how long after your taxes are accepted to get refund?
- what is the currently accepted age of earth?
- where is paypal accepted?
- where is american express accepted?
- where is discover card accepted?
- how close a measurement is to an accepted value?
- how do you spell accepted?
- what led biologists to assign universally accepted names to organisms?
- which represents the most accepted form of scientific ideas?
- where is discover not accepted?
- how to know if you got accepted into college?
- who accepted mr collins proposal?
- what does accepted mean?
- how to get accepted into harvard?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with acc
- Words starting with acce
- Words starting with accep
- Words starting with accept
- Words starting with accepte
- Words starting with accepted
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,e
- Words containing the letters a,c,e,p
- Words containing the letters a,c,e,p,t
- Words containing the letters a,c,e,p,t,d