- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of weak word
- adjective weak not strong; liable to yield, break, or collapse under pressure or strain; fragile; frail: a weak fortress; a weak spot in armor. 1
- adjective weak lacking in bodily strength or healthy vigor, as from age or sickness; feeble; infirm: a weak old man; weak eyes. 1
- adjective weak not having much political strength, governing power, or authority: a weak nation; a weak ruler. 1
- adjective weak lacking in force, potency, or efficacy; impotent, ineffectual, or inadequate: weak sunlight; a weak wind. 1
- adjective weak lacking in rhetorical or creative force or effectiveness: a weak reply to the charges; one of the author's weakest novels. 1
- adjective weak lacking in logical or legal force or soundness: a weak argument. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of weak
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English weik < Old Norse veikr; cognate with Old English wāc, Dutch week, German weich; akin to Old English wīcan to yield, give way, Old Norse vīkja to move, turn, draw back, German weichen to yield
Parts of speech for Weak
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
weak usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for weak
- feeble — physically weak, as from age or sickness; frail.
- frail — having delicate health; not robust; weak: My grandfather is rather frail now.
- puny — of less than normal size and strength; weak.
- scrawny — excessively thin; lean; scraggy: a long, scrawny neck.
- anaemic — Someone who is anaemic suffers from anaemia.
Antonyms for weak
- robust — strong and healthy; hardy; vigorous: a robust young man; a robust faith; a robust mind.
- strong — having, showing, or able to exert great bodily or muscular power; physically vigorous or robust: a strong boy.
- sturdy — strongly built; stalwart; robust: sturdy young athletes.
- invulnerable — incapable of being wounded, hurt, or damaged.
- powerful — having or exerting great power or force.
Top questions with weak
- when i am weak then i am strong?
- when i am weak he is strong?
- what is ghost type weak to?
- what are water pokemon weak against?
- what are poison types weak against?
- why do shield volcanoes have weak eruptions?
- why was the league of nations weak?
- why do i feel so weak?
- which of the following is a weak base?
- what are dragon type pokemon weak against?
- how to strengthen a weak heart?
- what is gengar weak against?
- she eyes me like a pisces when i am weak?
- what are electric types weak against?
- what are rock pokemon weak against?
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,e
- Words containing the letters w,e,a
- Words containing the letters w,e,a,k
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?