- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈræb ɪt/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈræb ɪt/
Definitions of rabbet word
- noun rabbet a deep notch formed in or near one edge of a board, framing timber, etc., so that something else can be fitted into it or so that a door or the like can be closed against it. 1
- noun rabbet a broad groove let into the surface of a board or the like; dado. 1
- verb with object rabbet to cut a rabbet in (a board or the like). 1
- verb with object rabbet to join (boards or the like) by means of a rabbet or rabbets. 1
- verb without object rabbet to join by a rabbet (usually followed by on or over). 1
- noun rabbet A step-shaped recess cut along the edge or in the face of a piece of wood, typically forming a match to the edge or tongue of another piece. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of rabbet
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
1350-1400; Middle English rabet < Old French rabat, derivative of rabattre to beat back, beat down; see rebate1
Parts of speech for Rabbet
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 78% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
rabbet usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for rabbet
- incision — a cut, gash, or notch.
- laceration — the result of lacerating; a rough, jagged tear.
- wound — the act of winding.
- carving — A carving is an object or a design that has been cut out of a material such as stone or wood.
- chip — Chips are long, thin pieces of potato fried in oil or fat and eaten hot, usually with a meal.
- sever — to separate (a part) from the whole, as by cutting or the like.
- carve — If you carve an object, you make it by cutting it out of a substance such as wood or stone. If you carve something such as wood or stone into an object, you make the object by cutting it out.
- curtail — If you curtail something, you reduce or limit it.
- divide — to separate into parts, groups, sections, etc.
- slice — a thin, flat piece cut from something: a slice of bread.
Antonyms for rabbet
- closing — The closing part of an activity or period of time is the final part of it.
- closure — The closure of a place such as a business or factory is the permanent ending of the work or activity there.
- solid — having three dimensions (length, breadth, and thickness), as a geometrical body or figure.
- whole — comprising the full quantity, amount, extent, number, etc., without diminution or exception; entire, full, or total: He ate the whole pie. They ran the whole distance.
- compliment — A compliment is a polite remark that you say to someone to show that you like their appearance, appreciate their qualities, or approve of what they have done.
- combine — If you combine two or more things or if they combine, they exist together.
- sew — to ground (a vessel) at low tide (sometimes fol by up).
- unite — to join, combine, or incorporate so as to form a single whole or unit.
- bear — If you bear something somewhere, you carry it there or take it there.
- build — If you build something, you make it by joining things together.
Top questions with rabbet
- what is a rabbet?
- what is a rabbet cut?
- what is a rabbet joint?
- how to make a rabbet joint with a router?
- how to cut a rabbet with a router?
- how to use a rabbet plane?
- rabbet plane how to use?
- what is rabbet joint?
- what is a rabbet plane?
- how to make rabbet joints?
- what is rabbet depth?
- how to cut a rabbet joint?
- how to make a rabbet cut?
- how to cut a rabbet?
- how to make a rabbet joint with a table saw?
- Words starting with r
- Words starting with ra
- Words starting with rab
- Words starting with rabb
- Words starting with rabbe
- Words starting with rabbet
- Words containing the letters r
- Words containing the letters r,a
- Words containing the letters r,a,b
- Words containing the letters r,a,b,e
- Words containing the letters r,a,b,e,t