- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fixedly word
- adjective fixedly fastened, attached, or placed so as to be firm and not readily movable; firmly implanted; stationary; rigid. 1
- adjective fixedly rendered stable or permanent, as color. 1
- adjective fixedly set or intent upon something; steadily directed: a fixed stare. 1
- adjective fixedly definitely and permanently placed: a fixed buoy; a fixed line of defense. 1
- adjective fixedly not fluctuating or varying; definite: a fixed purpose. 1
- adjective fixedly supplied with or having enough of something necessary or wanted, as money. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fixedly
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
Middle English word dating back to 1350-1400; See origin at fix, -ed2
Parts of speech for Fixedly
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 69% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
fixedly usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fixedly
- strongly — with great strength or force: wind blowing strongly from the west.
- thoroughly — in a thorough manner or degree; completely and carefully: We will review the data thoroughly.
- hard — not soft; solid and firm to the touch; unyielding to pressure and impenetrable or almost impenetrable.
- fast — moving or able to move, operate, function, or take effect quickly; quick; swift; rapid: a fast horse; a fast pain reliever; a fast thinker.
- inflexibly — not flexible; incapable of or resistant to being bent; rigid: an inflexible steel rod.
- intently — firmly or steadfastly fixed or directed, as the eyes or mind: an intent gaze.
- earnestly — serious in intention, purpose, or effort; sincerely zealous: an earnest worker.
- directly — in a direct line, way, or manner; straight: The path leads directly to the lake.
- durably — In a durable manner.
- enduringly — In an enduring manner or fashion; such as to endure.
Antonyms for fixedly
- indefinitely — not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
- weakly — weak or feeble in constitution; not robust; sickly.
- flexibly — capable of being bent, usually without breaking; easily bent: a flexible ruler.
- movability — capable of being moved; not fixed in one place, position, or posture.
- changeably — liable to change or to be changed; variable.
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fix
- Words starting with fixe
- Words starting with fixed
- Words starting with fixedl
- Words starting with fixedly
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,x
- Words containing the letters f,i,x,e
- Words containing the letters f,i,x,e,d
- Words containing the letters f,i,x,e,d,l