- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of faux word
- adjective faux artificial or imitation; fake: a brooch with faux pearls. 1
- noun faux Made in imitation; artificial. 1
- adjective faux jewels: artificial, paste 1
- adjective faux fur: fake, imitation 1
- adjective faux false, counterfeit or imitation, esp when used in compounds, for example faux-leather 0
- adjective faux false or artificial 0
Information block about the term
Origin of faux
First appearance:before 1670
One of the 47% oldest English words
1670-80; < French; Old French fals < Latin falsus false
Parts of speech for Faux
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 88% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
faux usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for faux
- fake — to lay (a rope) in a coil or series of long loops so as to allow to run freely without fouling or kinking (often followed by down).
- imitative — imitating; copying; given to imitation.
- imitation — a result or product of imitating.
- false — not true or correct; erroneous: a false statement.
- unreal — not real or actual.
- artificial — Artificial objects, materials, or processes do not occur naturally and are created by human beings, for example using science or technology.
- reproduction — the act or process of reproducing.
- ersatz — (of a product) Made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else.
Antonyms for faux
- genuine — possessing the claimed or attributed character, quality, or origin; not counterfeit; authentic; real: genuine sympathy; a genuine antique.
- authentic — An authentic person, object, or emotion is genuine.
- real — true; not merely ostensible, nominal, or apparent: the real reason for an act.
- natural — existing in or formed by nature (opposed to artificial): a natural bridge.
- sincere — free of deceit, hypocrisy, or falseness; earnest: a sincere apology.
Top questions with faux
- what is faux leather?
- how to do faux locs?
- what does faux mean?
- what is faux fur?
- how do you spell faux pas?
- what does faux pas mean?
- how to clean faux leather couch?
- how to pronounce faux?
- how to say faux?
- how to clean faux wood blinds?
- how to clean faux suede couch?
- how to install faux locs?
- how to faux paint?
- how to clean faux leather?
- how to cut a faux hawk?
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,u
- Words containing the letters f,a,u,x