- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of cloud word
- variable noun cloud A cloud is a mass of water vapour that floats in the sky. Clouds are usually white or grey in colour. 3
- countable noun cloud A cloud of something such as smoke or dust is a mass of it floating in the air. 3
- verb cloud If you say that something clouds your view of a situation, you mean that it makes you unable to understand the situation or judge it properly. 3
- verb cloud If you say that something clouds a situation, you mean that it makes it unpleasant. 3
- ergative verb cloud If your eyes or face cloud or if sadness or anger clouds them, your eyes or your face suddenly show sadness or anger. 3
- ergative verb cloud Cloud over means the same as cloud. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of cloud
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English; Old English clūd rock, hill; probably akin to clod
Parts of speech for Cloud
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
cloud usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for cloud
- gloom — total or partial darkness; dimness.
- vapor — a visible exhalation, as fog, mist, steam, smoke, or noxious gas, diffused through or suspended in the air: the vapors rising from the bogs.
- darkness — the state or quality of being dark: The room was in total darkness.
- fog — a second growth of grass, as after mowing.
- smoke — the visible vapor and gases given off by a burning or smoldering substance, especially the gray, brown, or blackish mixture of gases and suspended carbon particles resulting from the combustion of wood, peat, coal, or other organic matter.
- dim — DIM statement
- darken — If something darkens or if a person or thing darkens it, it becomes darker.
- overshadow — to be more important or significant by comparison: For years he overshadowed his brother.
- eclipse — Astronomy. the obscuration of the light of the moon by the intervention of the earth between it and the sun (lunar eclipse) or the obscuration of the light of the sun by the intervention of the moon between it and a point on the earth (solar eclipse) a similar phenomenon with respect to any other planet and either its satellite or the sun. the partial or complete interception of the light of one component of a binary star by the other.
- blur — A blur is a shape or area which you cannot see clearly because it has no distinct outline or because it is moving very fast.
Antonyms for cloud
- cognizance — Cognizance is knowledge or understanding.
- brightness — the condition of being bright
- light — a light product, as a beer or cigarette.
- understanding — mental process of a person who comprehends; comprehension; personal interpretation: My understanding of the word does not agree with yours.
- unveil — to remove a veil or other covering from; display; reveal: The woman unveiled herself.
- brighten — If someone brightens or their face brightens, they suddenly look happier.
- lighten — to become less severe, stringent, or harsh; ease up: Border inspections have lightened recently.
- clear — Something that is clear is easy to understand, see, or hear.
- open — not closed or barred at the time, as a doorway by a door, a window by a sash, or a gateway by a gate: to leave the windows open at night.
Top questions with cloud
- how much does a cloud weigh?
- what is adobe creative cloud?
- what is cloud computer?
- what is the cloud?
- what is cloud computing?
- what does a cloud weigh?
- what is a cloud?
- how to unlock cloud?
- what is cloud?
- what is cloud storage?
- what is cloud 9?
- what does cloud 9 mean?
- how to draw a cloud?
- what is cloud print?
- how does the cloud work?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with cl
- Words starting with clo
- Words starting with clou
- Words starting with cloud
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,l
- Words containing the letters c,l,o
- Words containing the letters c,l,o,u
- Words containing the letters c,l,o,u,d