- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈsɜr tn/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈsɜr tn/
Definitions of certain word
- adjective certain If you are certain about something, you firmly believe it is true and have no doubt about it. If you are not certain about something, you do not have definite knowledge about it. 3
- adjective certain If you say that something is certain to happen, you mean that it will definitely happen. 3
- adjective certain If you say that something is certain, you firmly believe that it is true, or have definite knowledge about it. 3
- graded adjective certain If you have certain knowledge, you know that a particular thing is true. 3
- adjective certain You use certain to indicate that you are referring to one particular thing, person, or group, although you are not saying exactly which it is. 3
- quantifier certain When you refer to certain of a group of people or things, you are referring to some particular members of that group. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of certain
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English < Old French < Vulgar Latin *certānus, equivalent to Latin cert(us) sure, settled (cer- base of cernere to decide, + -tus past participle suffix) + -ānus -an
Parts of speech for Certain
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
certain usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for certain
- positive — explicitly stated, stipulated, or expressed: a positive acceptance of the agreement.
- sure — free from doubt as to the reliability, character, action, etc., of something: to be sure of one's data.
- convinced — If you are convinced that something is true, you feel sure that it is true.
- assertive — Someone who is assertive states their needs and opinions clearly, so that people take notice.
- assured — Someone who is assured is very confident and relaxed.
- confident — If you are confident about something, you are certain that it will happen in the way you want it to.
- valid — sound; just; well-founded: a valid reason.
- dependable — If you say that someone or something is dependable, you approve of them because you feel that you can be sure that they will always act consistently or sensibly, or do what you need them to do.
- accurate — careful and exact
Antonyms for certain
- indefinite — not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
- uncertain — not definitely ascertainable or fixed, as in time of occurrence, number, dimensions, or quality.
- unsure — not certain or confident: He arrived at the party unsure of his welcome.
- hesitant — hesitating; undecided, doubtful, or disinclined.
- questionable — of doubtful propriety, honesty, morality, respectability, etc.: questionable activities; in questionable taste.
- all — You use all to indicate that you are referring to the whole of a particular group or thing or to everyone or everything of a particular kind.
Top questions with certain
- why do mosquitoes bite certain people?
- why do populations have variation in certain traits?
- how to block certain websites on iphone?
- what do certain emojis mean?
- what does certain mean?
- how did the espionage act restrict certain individual freedoms?
- how to save certain pages of a pdf?
- how to start a youtube video at a certain time?
- what do certain dreams mean?
- why do we dream about certain people?
- how to block certain websites?
- litany in which certain things are crossed out?
- how to search for certain words on a web page?
- what certain dreams mean?
- where to find certain pokemon?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ce
- Words starting with cer
- Words starting with cert
- Words starting with certa
- Words starting with certai
- Words starting with certain
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,e
- Words containing the letters c,e,r
- Words containing the letters c,e,r,t
- Words containing the letters c,e,r,t,a
- Words containing the letters c,e,r,t,a,i