- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abruptly word
- adjective abruptly sudden or unexpected: an abrupt departure. 1
- adjective abruptly curt or brusque in speech, manner, etc.: an abrupt reply. 1
- adjective abruptly terminating or changing suddenly: an abrupt turn in a road. 1
- adjective abruptly having many sudden changes from one subject to another; lacking in continuity or smoothness: an abrupt writing style. 1
- adjective abruptly steep; precipitous: an abrupt descent. 1
- adjective abruptly Botany. truncate (def 4). 1
Information block about the term
Origin of abruptly
First appearance:before 1575
One of the 34% oldest English words
1575-85; < Latin abruptus broken off (past participle of abrumpere), equivalent to ab- ab- + -rup- break + -tus past participle suffix
Parts of speech for Abruptly
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
abruptly usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for abruptly
- suddenly — happening, coming, made, or done quickly, without warning, or unexpectedly: a sudden attack.
- unexpectedly — not expected; unforeseen; surprising: an unexpected pleasure; an unexpected development.
- precipitous — of the nature of or characterized by precipices: a precipitous wall of rock.
- all of a sudden — If something happens all of a sudden, it happens quickly and unexpectedly.
- short — having little length; not long.
- rapidly — occurring within a short time; happening speedily: rapid growth.
- hastily — moving or acting with haste; speedy; quick; hurried.
- immediately — without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once: Please telephone him immediately.
- quickly — with speed; rapidly; very soon.
- hurriedly — moving or working rapidly, especially forced or required to hurry, as a person.
- dead — A person, animal, or plant that is dead is no longer living.
Antonyms for abruptly
Top questions with abruptly
- what does abruptly mean?
- what is the meaning of abruptly?
- what does abruptly?
- what is abruptly?
- what happens if you stop taking topamax abruptly?
- what happens if you abruptly stop taking prednisone?
- what is the definition of abruptly?
- what does the word abruptly mean?
- what happens if you stop taking zoloft abruptly?
- what happens if you stop taking antidepressants abruptly?
- why did deadwood end so abruptly?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with abr
- Words starting with abru
- Words starting with abrup
- Words starting with abrupt
- Words starting with abruptl
- Words starting with abruptly
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,r
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,u
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,u,p
- Words containing the letters a,b,r,u,p,t