- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of above word
- preposition above If one thing is above another one, it is directly over it or higher than it. 3
- preposition above Above is also an adverb. 3
- adverb above In writing, you use above to refer to something that has already been mentioned or discussed. 3
- adverb above Above is also a noun. 3
- adverb above Above is also an adjective. 3
- preposition above If an amount or measurement is above a particular level, it is greater than that level. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of above
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English above(n) (Cf. aboon), Old English abufan, onbufan (a-1, on + bufan above (cognate with Dutch boven), equivalent to b(e) by1 + ufan, cognate with Old Frisian uva, Old Saxon oban(a), Old High German obana, German oben, Old Norse ofan above; akin to over); see up; cf. about for formation
Parts of speech for Above
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
above usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for above
- raised — fashioned or made as a surface design in relief.
- high — having a great or considerable extent or reach upward or vertically; lofty; tall: a high wall.
- superior — higher in station, rank, degree, importance, etc.: a superior officer.
- over — above in place or position: the roof over one's head.
- overhead — over one's head; aloft; up in the air or sky, especially near the zenith: There was a cloud overhead.
- higher — having a great or considerable extent or reach upward or vertically; lofty; tall: a high wall.
- upper — higher, as in place, position, pitch, or in a scale: the upper stories of a house; the upper register of a singer's voice.
- first-string — composed of regular members, participants, etc. (distinguished from substitute): the first-string team.
- foregoing — previously stated, written, or occurring; preceding: The foregoing paragraph presents the problem.
- preceding — that precedes; previous: Refer back to the footnote on the preceding page.
- degree — You use degree to indicate the extent to which something happens or is the case, or the amount which something is felt.
- in the air — a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, and minute amounts of other gases that surrounds the earth and forms its atmosphere.
Antonyms for above
- below — If something is below something else, it is in a lower position.
- under — beneath and covered by: under a table; under a tree.
- deficient — If someone or something is deficient in a particular thing, they do not have the full amount of it that they need in order to function normally or work properly.
- fewer — not many but more than one: Few artists live luxuriously.
- less — not at all (used before a verb): He little knows what awaits him.
- in the dumps — a depressed state of mind (usually preceded by in the): to be in the dumps over money problems.
- in the doldrums — miserable, depressed
- dejected — If you are dejected, you feel miserable or unhappy, especially because you have just been disappointed by something.
- squatty — short and thick; low and broad.
- break ground — to do something that has not been done before
- beneath — Something that is beneath another thing is under the other thing.
Top questions with above
- what flights are above me?
- what does above board mean?
- what to put above kitchen cabinets?
- how to take down an above ground pool?
- which construction is illustrated above?
- how to fix squeaky floors from above?
- how is the comma used incorrectly in the sentence above?
- how to get my credit score above 700?
- how high above sea level is denver?
- how to winterize an above ground pool?
- how far above sea level am i?
- when the level of arterial carbon dioxide rises above normal?
- how much does an above ground pool cost?
- how d you get the beans above the frank?
- what does as above so below mean?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with abo
- Words starting with abov
- Words starting with above
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,o
- Words containing the letters a,b,o,v
- Words containing the letters a,b,o,v,e