- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of aardvark word
- noun aardvark a nocturnal mammal, Orycteropus afer, the sole member of its family (Orycteropodidae) and order (Tubulidentata). It inhabits the grasslands of Africa, has long ears and snout, and feeds on termites 3
- noun aardvark a large, burrowing, nocturnal S African mammal (Orycteropus afer, order Tubulidentata) that feeds on ants and termites: it is squat and heavy with a long, sticky tongue and a long head ending in a round, piglike snout 3
- noun aardvark a large, nocturnal, burrowing mammal, Orycteropus afer, of central and southern Africa, feeding on ants and termites and having a long, extensile tongue, strong claws, and long ears. 1
- noun aardvark A nocturnal burrowing mammal with long ears, a tubular snout, and a long extensible tongue, feeding on ants and termites. Aardvarks are native to Africa and have no close relatives. 1
- noun aardvark ant-eating mammal 1
- noun aardvark The nocturnal, insectivorous, burrowing, mammal Orycteropus afer, of the order Tubulidentata, somewhat resembling a pig, common in some parts of sub-Saharan Africa. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of aardvark
First appearance:before 1825
One of the 37% newest English words
1825-35; < Afrikaans erdvark < Dutch aardvarken, equivalent to aarde earth + varken pig; see farrow1
Parts of speech for Aardvark
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 66% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
aardvark usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for aardvark
- edentate — belonging or pertaining to the Edentata, an order of New World mammals characterized by the absence of incisors and canines in the arrangement of teeth and comprising the armadillos, the sloths, and the South American anteaters.
- farrow — a litter of pigs.
- anteater — An anteater is an animal with a long nose that eats termites or ants. Anteaters live in warm countries.
- ant bear — a large, ant-eating, edentate mammal (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) of Central America and tropical South America, with a long, shaggy tail; giant anteater
Top questions with aardvark
- what is an aardvark?
- what is a aardvark?
- what does aardvark mean?
- aardvark where do they live?
- what is aardvark?
- what eats an aardvark?
- where does the word aardvark come from?
- how many teeth does an aardvark have?
- what is a baby aardvark called?
- what does aardvark eat?
- how to draw a aardvark?
- how big is an aardvark?
- what sound does an aardvark make?
- what does an aardvark sound like?
- how to draw an aardvark?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with aa
- Words starting with aar
- Words starting with aard
- Words starting with aardv
- Words starting with aardva
- Words starting with aardvar
- Words starting with aardvark
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,r
- Words containing the letters a,r,d
- Words containing the letters a,r,d,v
- Words containing the letters a,r,d,v,k
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?