- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of zap word
- verb with object zap to kill or shoot. 1
- verb with object zap to attack, defeat, or destroy with sudden speed and force. 1
- verb with object zap to bombard with electrical current, radiation, laser beams, etc. 1
- verb with object zap to strike or jolt suddenly and forcefully. 1
- verb with object zap to cook in a microwave oven. 1
- verb with object zap to skip over or delete (TV commercials), as by switching channels or pushing a fast-forward button on a playback device: We recorded the show on our VCR but zapped all the commercials. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of zap
First appearance:before 1940
One of the 7% newest English words
An Americanism dating back to 1940-45; imitative
Parts of speech for Zap
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 79% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
Synonyms for zap
- destroy — To destroy something means to cause so much damage to it that it is completely ruined or does not exist any more.
- kill — to deprive of life in any manner; cause the death of; slay. Synonyms: slaughter, massacre, butcher; hang, electrocute, behead, guillotine, strangle, garrote; assassinate.
- annihilate — To annihilate something means to destroy it completely.
- exterminate — Destroy completely.
- delete — If you delete something that has been written down or stored in a computer, you cross it out or remove it.
- scintillation — the act of scintillating; sparkling.
- bite — If you bite something, you use your teeth to cut into it, for example in order to eat it or break it. If an animal or person bites you, they use their teeth to hurt or injure you.
- sumptuous — entailing great expense, as from choice materials, fine work, etc.; costly: a sumptuous residence.
- birr — to make or cause to make a whirring sound
- leg up — either of the two lower limbs of a biped, as a human being, or any of the paired limbs of an animal, arthropod, etc., that support and move the body.
Antonyms for zap
- bear — If you bear something somewhere, you carry it there or take it there.
- begin — To begin to do something means to start doing it.
- create — To create something means to cause it to happen or exist.
- initiate — to begin, set going, or originate: to initiate major social reforms.
- start — to begin or set out, as on a journey or activity.
Top questions with zap
- what is a brain zap?
- what does zap mean?
- what is droid zap?
- what is zap?
- where to buy zap restorer?
- how to zap pram?
- how to play zip zap zop?
- tanda zap where to buy?
- how to zap someone with static electricity?
- what is a brain zap from an antidepressant?
- what is zap zone?
- how to play zap card game?
- where is zap zone?
- how to zap a pimple overnight?
- how to zap pram mac?