- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of stick word
- noun stick a thrust with a pointed instrument; stab. 1
- noun stick a stoppage or standstill. 1
- noun stick something causing delay or difficulty. 1
- noun stick the quality of adhering or of causing things to adhere. 1
- noun stick something causing adhesion. 1
- verb with object stick to pierce or puncture with something pointed, as a pin, dagger, or spear; stab: to stick one's finger with a needle. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of stick
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English stikke, Old English sticca; akin to Old High German stehho, Old Norse stik stick; akin to stick2
Parts of speech for Stick
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
stick usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for stick
- alpenstock — an early form of ice axe, consisting of a stout stick with an iron tip and sometimes having a pick and adze at the head, formerly used by mountain climbers
- bastinado — punishment or torture in which the soles of the feet are beaten with a stick
- beanpole — If you call someone a beanpole, you are criticizing them because you think that they are extremely tall and thin.
- beanstalk — the stem of a bean plant
- billies — a male given name, form of William.
- attach — If you attach something to an object, you join it or fasten it to the object.
- avail oneself of — to make use of to one's advantage
- baffle — If something baffles you, you cannot understand it or explain it.
- bear the brunt — (Idiomatic) To endure the worst part of something.
- beetle — A beetle is an insect with a hard covering to its body.
Antonyms for stick
- loose — free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
Top questions with stick
- how to drive stick?
- how to drive stick shift?
- how many tablespoons in a stick of butter?
- how many tablespoons are in a stick of butter?
- how to drive a stick shift?
- how much is a stick of butter?
- 1 stick of butter equals how many cups?
- how many cups is one stick of butter?
- how does a selfie stick work?
- how many ounces in a stick of butter?
- how much is one stick of butter?
- how to use selfie stick?
- what is a fire stick?
- how to drive a stick?
- how many cups in a stick of butter?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with st
- Words starting with sti
- Words starting with stic
- Words starting with stick
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,t
- Words containing the letters s,t,i
- Words containing the letters s,t,i,c
- Words containing the letters s,t,i,c,k