- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of adhere word
- verb adhere If you adhere to an opinion or belief, you support or hold it. 4
- verb adhere If you adhere to a rule or agreement, you act in the way that it says you should. 3
- verb adhere If something adheres to something else, it sticks firmly to it. 3
- verb adhere to stick or hold fast 3
- verb adhere to be devoted (to a political party, cause, religion, etc); be a follower (of) 3
- verb adhere to follow closely or exactly 3
Information block about the term
Origin of adhere
First appearance:before 1590
One of the 37% oldest English words
1590-1600; < Medieval Latin adhērēre for Latin adhaerēre (ad- ad- + haerēre to stick, cling), perhaps via Middle French adhérer
Parts of speech for Adhere
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 84% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
adhere usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for adhere
- heed — to give careful attention to: He did not heed the warning.
- observe — to see, watch, perceive, or notice: He observed the passersby in the street.
- obey — to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of: to obey one's parents.
- comply — If someone or something complies with an order or set of rules, they are in accordance with what is required or expected.
- support — to bear or hold up (a load, mass, structure, part, etc.); serve as a foundation for.
Antonyms for adhere
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- disobey — Fail to obey (rules, a command, or someone in authority).
- release — to lease again.
- disregard — to pay no attention to; leave out of consideration; ignore: Disregard the footnotes.
- condemn — If you condemn something, you say that it is very bad and unacceptable.
Top questions with adhere
- what does adhere mean?
- what is the definition of adhere?
- what is adhere?
- how to adhere paper to glass?
- how to adhere glass to wood?
- how to adhere paper to wood?
- what is meant by adhere?
- what does the word adhere mean?
- how to adhere glass to glass?
- how to adhere photos to wood?
- how to adhere glitter to fabric?
- what does adhere?
- how to adhere pictures to wood?
- what do adhere mean?
- how to adhere fabric to wood?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ad
- Words starting with adh
- Words starting with adhe
- Words starting with adher
- Words starting with adhere
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,d
- Words containing the letters a,d,h
- Words containing the letters a,d,h,e
- Words containing the letters a,d,h,e,r