- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈstɛd i/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈstɛd i/
Definitions of steady word
- adjective steady firmly placed or fixed; stable in position or equilibrium: a steady ladder. 1
- adjective steady even or regular in movement: the steady swing of the pendulum. 1
- adjective steady free from change, variation, or interruption; uniform; continuous: a steady diet of meat and potatoes; a steady wind. 1
- adjective steady constant, regular, or habitual: a steady job. 1
- adjective steady free from excitement or agitation; calm: steady nerves. 1
- adjective steady firm; unfaltering: a steady gaze; a steady hand. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of steady
First appearance:before 1520
One of the 28% oldest English words
1520-30; 1905-10 for def 12; stead + -y1
Parts of speech for Steady
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
steady usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for steady
- abiding — An abiding feeling, memory, or interest is one that you have for a very long time.
- abstinent — forbearance from any indulgence of appetite, especially from the use of alcoholic beverages: total abstinence.
- accidentally on purpose — Deliberately, though apparently accidentally.
- addicting — a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance: a drug addict.
- aeonian — everlasting
- balance — If you balance something somewhere, or if it balances there, it remains steady and does not fall.
- ballasted — Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability.
- ballasting — Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability.
- balmed — simple past tense and past participle of balm.
- becalm — to calm down
- beau — A woman's beau is her boyfriend or lover.
- boyfriend — Someone's boyfriend is a man or boy with whom they are having a romantic or sexual relationship.
- doxies — opinion; doctrine.
- doxy — opinion; doctrine.
- fiance — a man engaged to be married. Synonyms: future groom, future husband, future spouse, betrothed.
- fast — moving or able to move, operate, function, or take effect quickly; quick; swift; rapid: a fast horse; a fast pain reliever; a fast thinker.
Antonyms for steady
- airheaded — Slang. a scatterbrained, stupid, or simple-minded person; dolt.
- ambulant — moving about from place to place
- ambulatory — of, relating to, or designed for walking
- anguished — Anguished means showing or feeling great mental suffering or physical pain.
- arbitrary — If you describe an action, rule, or decision as arbitrary, you think that it is not based on any principle, plan, or system. It often seems unfair because of this.
- arcing — Geometry. any unbroken part of the circumference of a circle or other curved line.
- arcked — a simple past tense and past participle of arc.
- arcking — a present participle of arc.
- be-have — to act in a particular way; conduct or comport oneself or itself: The ship behaves well.
- beat — If you beat someone or something, you hit them very hard.
Top questions with steady
- what does going steady mean?
- how to have steady hands?
- what is steady state cardio?
- what does steady mean?
- what is the steady state theory?
- how to get steady hands?
- who sings rock steady?
- what does it mean to go steady?
- what is steady state?
- what is steady?
- what does go steady mean?
- what is going steady?
- what does steady state mean?
- how to hold camera steady without tripod?
- how to hold a camera steady?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with st
- Words starting with ste
- Words starting with stea
- Words starting with stead
- Words starting with steady
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,t
- Words containing the letters s,t,e
- Words containing the letters s,t,e,a
- Words containing the letters s,t,e,a,d
- Words containing the letters s,t,e,a,d,y