- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of stayed word
- verb without object stayed (of a ship) to change to the other tack. 1
- verb with object stayed to support or secure with a stay or stays: to stay a mast. 1
- verb with object stayed to put (a ship) on the other tack. 1
- noun stayed any of various strong ropes or wires for steadying masts, funnels, etc. 1
- idioms stayed in stays, (of a fore-and-aft-rigged vessel) heading into the wind with sails shaking, as in coming about. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of stayed
First appearance:before 1400
One of the 24% oldest English words
1400-50; late Middle English staien < Anglo-French estaier, Old French estai-, stem of ester < Latin stāre to stand
Parts of speech for Stayed
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 100% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
stayed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for stayed
- cantilevered — A cantilevered structure is constructed using cantilevers.
- froze — simple past tense of freeze.
- kedged — Simple past tense and past participle of kedge.
- lathed — a thin, narrow strip of wood, used with other strips to form latticework, a backing for plaster or stucco, a support for slates and other roofing materials, etc.
- dawdled — to waste time; idle; trifle; loiter: Stop dawdling and help me with these packages!
- depended — to rely; place trust (usually followed by on or upon): You may depend on the accuracy of the report.
- disambiguated — Simple past tense and past participle of disambiguate.
- dwelt — a simple past tense and past participle of dwell.
- existed — Simple past tense and past participle of exist.
- waited — to remain inactive or in a state of repose, as until something expected happens (often followed by for, till, or until): to wait for the bus to arrive.
Antonyms for stayed
- abdicated — Simple past tense and past participle of abdicate.
- absconded — Leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft.
- absquatulated — Simple past tense and past participle of absquatulate.
- alternated — Simple past tense and past participle of alternate.
- ambled — to go at a slow, easy pace; stroll; saunter: He ambled around the town.
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with st
- Words starting with sta
- Words starting with stay
- Words starting with staye
- Words starting with stayed
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,t
- Words containing the letters s,t,a
- Words containing the letters s,t,a,y
- Words containing the letters s,t,a,y,e
- Words containing the letters s,t,a,y,e,d