- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈnær oʊ/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈnær oʊ/
Definitions of narrow word
- adjective narrow of little breadth or width; not broad or wide; not as wide as usual or expected: a narrow path. 1
- adjective narrow limited in extent or space; affording little room: narrow quarters. 1
- adjective narrow limited in range or scope: a narrow sampling of public opinion. 1
- adjective narrow lacking breadth of view or sympathy, as persons, the mind, or ideas: a narrow man, knowing only his professional specialty; a narrow mind. 1
- adjective narrow with little margin to spare; barely adequate or successful; close: a narrow escape. 1
- adjective narrow careful, thorough, or minute, as a scrutiny, search, or inquiry. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of narrow
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English; Old English nearu; cognate with Old Saxon naru narrow, Dutch naar unpleasant; akin to German Narbe scar, literally, narrow mark
Parts of speech for Narrow
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
narrow usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for narrow
- diminish — to make or cause to seem smaller, less, less important, etc.; lessen; reduce.
- tighten — make more snug or secure
- limit — the final, utmost, or furthest boundary or point as to extent, amount, continuance, procedure, etc.: the limit of his experience; the limit of vision.
- circumscribe — If someone's power or freedom is circumscribed, it is limited or restricted.
- constrict — If a part of your body, especially your throat, is constricted or if it constricts, something causes it to become narrower.
- thin — having relatively little extent from one surface or side to the opposite; not thick: thin ice.
- fine — of superior or best quality; of high or highest grade: fine wine.
- slim — slender, as in girth or form; slight in build or structure.
- slender — having a circumference that is small in proportion to the height or length: a slender post.
- slight — small in amount, degree, etc.: a slight increase; a slight odor.
Antonyms for narrow
- release — to lease again.
- increase — to make greater, as in number, size, strength, or quality; augment; add to: to increase taxes.
- broaden — When something broadens, it becomes wider.
- complicate — To complicate something means to make it more difficult to understand or deal with.
- intensify — to make intense or more intense.
- wide — having considerable or great extent from side to side; broad: a wide boulevard.
- fat — File Allocation Table
- giving — to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation; bestow: to give a birthday present to someone.
- imprecise — not precise; not exact; vague or ill-defined.
- indefinite — not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
- on the whole — comprising the full quantity, amount, extent, number, etc., without diminution or exception; entire, full, or total: He ate the whole pie. They ran the whole distance.
- everyplace — (US, informal) Everywhere.
- predominantly — having ascendancy, power, authority, or influence over others; preeminent.
- all over — All over a place means in every part of it.
- overall — overalls, (used with a plural verb) loose, sturdy trousers, usually with a bib or biblike piece to which shoulder straps are attached, originally worn over other trousers to protect them, as by factory workers or farmers. long waterproof leggings.
Top questions with narrow
- what does narrow mean?
- what does narrow minded mean?
- why man he doth bestride the narrow world?
- what is narrow?
- how to narrow a rear end?
- how to narrow a topic?
- why were tenements constructed as tall narrow buildings?
- what is narrow angle glaucoma?
- how to decorate a long narrow living room?
- Words starting with n
- Words starting with na
- Words starting with nar
- Words starting with narr
- Words starting with narro
- Words starting with narrow
- Words containing the letters n
- Words containing the letters n,a
- Words containing the letters n,a,r
- Words containing the letters n,a,r,o
- Words containing the letters n,a,r,o,w