- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of firsts word
- adjective firsts being before all others with respect to time, order, rank, importance, etc., used as the ordinal number of one: the first edition; the first vice president. 1
- adjective firsts Music. highest or chief among several voices or instruments of the same class: first alto; first horn. 1
- adjective firsts Automotive. low1 (def 31). 1
- adjective firsts (often initial capital letter) being a member of the household or an intimate acquaintance of the president of the U.S. or of the governor of a state: the First Lady; Checkers, the first dog. 1
- adverb firsts before all others or anything else in time, order, rank, etc. 1
- adverb firsts before some other thing, event, etc.: If you're going, phone first. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of firsts
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English; Old English fyr(e)st (see fore1, -est1); cognate with German Fürst prince
Parts of speech for Firsts
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
firsts usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for firsts
- favorite — a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine.
- choice — If there is a choice of things, there are several of them and you can choose the one you want.
- prime — of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration: a prime requisite.
- flower — the blossom of a plant.
- prize — leverage.
- primaries — first or highest in rank or importance; chief; principal: his primary goals in life.
- initials — of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: the initial step in a process.
- aboriginals — Plural form of aboriginal.
- antecedents — ancestry
- cardinals — of prime importance; chief; principal: of cardinal significance.
Antonyms for firsts
- worst — in ill health; sick: He felt badly.
- descendant — Someone's descendants are the people in later generations who are related to them.
- loser — a person, team, nation, etc., that loses: The visiting team was the loser in the series.
- failure — an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful; lack of success: His effort ended in failure. The campaign was a failure.
- lasts — occurring or coming after all others, as in time, order, or place: the last line on a page.
- auxiliaries — foreign or allied troops serving another nation; mercenaries
- endings — Plural form of ending.
- extras — Plural form of extra.
- finals — pertaining to or coming at the end; last in place, order, or time: the final meeting of the year.
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fir
- Words starting with firs
- Words starting with first
- Words starting with firsts
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,r
- Words containing the letters f,i,r,s
- Words containing the letters f,i,r,s,t