- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of chuffed word
- adjective chuffed If you are chuffed about something, you are very pleased about it. 3
- adjective chuffed pleased or delighted 3
- adjective chuffed pleased, delighted, gratified, etc. 3
- adjective chuffed disgruntled, displeased, unhappy, etc. 3
- adjective chuffed annoyed; displeased; disgruntled. 1
- noun chuffed a sound of or like the exhaust of a steam engine. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of chuffed
First appearance:before 1855
One of the 30% newest English words
First recorded in 1855-60; See origin at chuff2, -ed2
Parts of speech for Chuffed
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 55% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
chuffed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for chuffed
- blow — When a wind or breeze blows, the air moves.
- breathe — When people or animals breathe, they take air into their lungs and let it out again. When they breathe smoke or a particular kind of air, they take it into their lungs and let it out again as they breathe.
- palpitate — to pulsate with unusual rapidity from exertion, emotion, disease, etc.; flutter: His heart palpitated wildly.
- huff — a mood of sulking anger; a fit of resentment: Just because you disagree, don't walk off in a huff.
- throb — to beat with increased force or rapidity, as the heart under the influence of emotion or excitement; palpitate.
- pleased — (used as a polite addition to requests, commands, etc.) if you would be so obliging; kindly: Please come here. Will you please turn the radio off?
- content — The contents of a container such as a bottle, box, or room are the things that are inside it.
- satisfied — content: a satisfied look.
- happy — delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person.
- delighted — If you are delighted, you are extremely pleased and excited about something.
Antonyms for chuffed
- dischuffed — (New Zealand, British, informal) Very displeased or unsatisfied.
Top questions with chuffed
- what does chuffed mean?
- what is chuffed?
- what is the meaning of chuffed?
- what does the word chuffed mean?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with chu
- Words starting with chuf
- Words starting with chuff
- Words starting with chuffe
- Words starting with chuffed
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,u
- Words containing the letters c,h,u,f
- Words containing the letters c,h,u,f,e
- Words containing the letters c,h,u,f,e,d