- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of winging word
- noun winging either of the two forelimbs of most birds and of bats, corresponding to the human arms, that are specialized for flight. 1
- noun winging either of two corresponding parts in flightless birds, which may be rudimentary, as in certain ratite birds, or adapted for swimming, as in penguins. 1
- noun winging one of the paired, thin, lateral extensions of the body wall of an insect, located on the mesothorax and the metathorax, by means of which it flies. 1
- noun winging a similar structure with which gods, angels, demons, etc., are conceived to be provided for the purpose of flying. 1
- noun winging Slang. an arm of a human being, especially a baseball player's pitching or throwing arm. 1
- noun winging a means or instrument of flight, travel, or progress. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of winging
First appearance:before 1125
One of the 6% oldest English words
1125-75; Middle English wenge (plural noun) < Old Danish wingæ; compare Norwegian, Swedish vinge, Old Norse vǣngr
Parts of speech for Winging
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
winging usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for winging
- winged — having wings.
- aerial — You talk about aerial attacks and aerial photographs to indicate that people or things on the ground are attacked or photographed by people in aeroplanes.
- floating — being buoyed up on water or other liquid.
- soaring — an act or instance of soaring.
- drifting — a driving movement or force; impulse; impetus; pressure.
- arrival — When a person or vehicle arrives at a place, you can refer to their arrival.
- departure — Departure or a departure is the act of going away from somewhere.
- shuttle — a device in a loom for passing or shooting the weft thread through the shed from one side of the web to the other, usually consisting of a boat-shaped piece of wood containing a bobbin on which the weft thread is wound.
- transport — to carry, move, or convey from one place to another.
- trip — a group of animals, as sheep, goats, or fowl; flock.
- annoy — If someone or something annoys you, it makes you fairly angry and impatient.
- antagonize — If you antagonize someone, you make them feel angry or hostile towards you.
- bother — If you do not bother to do something or if you do not bother with it, you do not do it, consider it, or use it because you think it is unnecessary or because you are too lazy.
- chagrin — Chagrin is a feeling of disappointment, upset, or annoyance, perhaps because of your own failure.
- disappoint — to fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of: His gross ingratitude disappointed us.
Antonyms for winging
- stay — (of a ship) to change to the other tack.
- standing — rank or status, especially with respect to social, economic, or personal position, reputation, etc.: He had little standing in the community.
- staying — (of a ship) to change to the other tack.
- waiting — an act or instance of waiting or awaiting; delay; halt: a wait at the border.
- aid — Aid is money, equipment, or services that are provided for people, countries, or organizations who need them but cannot provide them for themselves.
- assist — If you assist someone, you help them to do a job or task by doing part of the work for them.
- calm — A calm person does not show or feel any worry, anger, or excitement.
- comfort — If you are doing something in comfort, you are physically relaxed and contented, and are not feeling any pain or other unpleasant sensations.
- delight — Delight is a feeling of very great pleasure.
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with wi
- Words starting with win
- Words starting with wing
- Words starting with wingi
- Words starting with wingin
- Words starting with winging
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,i
- Words containing the letters w,i,n
- Words containing the letters w,i,n,g
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?