- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of outfit word
- noun outfit an assemblage of articles that equip a person for a particular task, role, trade, etc.: an explorer's outfit. 1
- noun outfit a set of usually matching or harmonious garments and accessories worn together; coordinated costume; ensemble: a new spring outfit. 1
- noun outfit a set of articles for any purpose: a cooking outfit. 1
- noun outfit a group associated in an undertaking requiring close cooperation, as a military unit. 1
- noun outfit a business firm engaged in a particular form of commercial enterprise: a construction outfit. 1
- noun outfit any company, party, or set. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of outfit
First appearance:before 1755
One of the 47% newest English words
First recorded in 1755-65; out- + fit1
Parts of speech for Outfit
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 91% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
outfit usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for outfit
- supply — to furnish or provide (a person, establishment, place, etc.) with what is lacking or requisite: to supply someone clothing; to supply a community with electricity.
- furnish — to supply (a house, room, etc.) with necessary furniture, carpets, appliances, etc.
- equip — Supply with the necessary items for a particular purpose.
- kit out — a set or collection of tools, supplies, instructional matter, etc., for a specific purpose: a first-aid kit; a sales kit.
- fit out — adapted or suited; appropriate: This water isn't fit for drinking. A long-necked giraffe is fit for browsing treetops.
- clothes — Clothes are the things that people wear, such as shirts, coats, trousers, and dresses.
- clothing — Clothing is the things that people wear.
- getup — getup.
- ensemble — A group of musicians, actors, or dancers who perform together.
- dress — an outer garment for women and girls, consisting of bodice and skirt in one piece.
Antonyms for outfit
- refuse — to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
- reject — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
- take — to get into one's hold or possession by voluntary action: to take a cigarette out of a box; to take a pen and begin to write.
- bare — If a part of your body is bare, it is not covered by any clothing.
- unclothe — to strip of clothes.
- individual — a single human being, as distinguished from a group.
- Words starting with o
- Words starting with ou
- Words starting with out
- Words starting with outf
- Words starting with outfi
- Words starting with outfit
- Words containing the letters o
- Words containing the letters o,u
- Words containing the letters o,u,t
- Words containing the letters o,u,t,f
- Words containing the letters o,u,t,f,i