- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of out word
- adverb out away from, or not in, the normal or usual place, position, state, etc.: out of alphabetical order; to go out to dinner. 1
- adverb out away from one's home, country, work, etc., as specified: to go out of town. 1
- adverb out in or into the outdoors: to go out for a walk. 1
- adverb out to a state of exhaustion, extinction, or depletion: to pump a well out. 1
- adverb out to the end or conclusion; to a final decision or resolution: to say it all out. 1
- adverb out to a point or state of extinction, nonexistence, etc.: to blow out the candle; a practice on the way out. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of out
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (adv.) Middle English; Old English ūt; cognate with Dutch uit, German aus, Old Norse, Gothic ūt; akin to Sanskrit ud-; (adj., interjection, and preposition) Middle English, from the adv.; (v.) Middle English outen, Old English ūtian to put out, cognate with Old Frisian ūtia
Parts of speech for Out
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 100% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
out usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for out
- outdoors — out of doors; in the open air: He's happiest when he's outdoors.
- out-of-doors — Also, out-of-door. outdoor.
- alfresco — An alfresco activity, especially a meal, is one that takes place in the open air.
- outside — the outer side, surface, or part; exterior: The outside of the house needs painting.
- without — with the absence, omission, or avoidance of; not with; with no or none of; lacking: without help; without shoes; without her helping me; without him to help.
- available — If something you want or need is available, you can find it or obtain it.
- on sale — the act of selling.
- on view — an instance of seeing or beholding; visual inspection.
- obtainable — to come into possession of; get, acquire, or procure, as through an effort or by a request: to obtain permission; to obtain a better income.
- ready — completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action or use: troops ready for battle; Dinner is ready.
- runaround — indecisive or evasive treatment, especially in response to a request: Ask for a raise and he'll give you the runaround.
- hegira — Islam. Hijra.
- copout — an act or instance of copping out; reneging; evasion: The governor's platform was a cop-out.
- elopement — The act of eloping.
- plea — an appeal or entreaty: a plea for mercy.
- kick out — to strike with the foot or feet: to kick the ball; to kick someone in the shins.
- lack — deficiency or absence of something needed, desirable, or customary: lack of money; lack of skill.
- come out — When a new product such as a book or CD comes out, it becomes available to the public.
- put out — a throw or cast, especially one made with a forward motion of the hand when raised close to the shoulder.
- evict — Expel (someone) from a property, especially with the support of the law.
Antonyms for out
- unavailable — suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
- legitimate — according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
- acceptable — Acceptable activities and situations are those that most people approve of or consider to be normal.
- conscious — If you are conscious of something, you notice it or realize that it is happening.
- fashionable — observant of or conforming to the fashion; stylish: a fashionable young woman.
- vogue — something in fashion, as at a particular time: Short hairdos were the vogue in the twenties.
- fashionableness — The state of being fashionable; stylishness; elegance.
- stylish — characterized by or conforming to style or the fashionable standard; fashionably elegant; smart or chic: She wore a very stylish gown to the inaugural ball.
Top questions with out
- when does star wars come out?
- who let the dogs out?
- what movies are out?
- how to ask a girl out?
- when does the iphone 7 come out?
- how to make out?
- how to eat a girl out?
- how to eating a girl out?
- how to fill out a check?
- how to get water out of your ear?
- how to fill out a money order?
- when is the iphone 7 coming out?
- when does deadpool come out?
- when does batman vs superman come out?
- when does mockingjay part 2 come out?