- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of elastic word
- noun elastic (of an object or material) able to resume its normal shape spontaneously after contraction, dilatation, or distortion. 1
- noun elastic stretchy rubber 1
- uncountable noun elastic Elastic is a rubber material that stretches when you pull it and returns to its original size and shape when you let it go. Elastic is often used in clothes to make them fit tightly, for example round the waist. 0
- adjective elastic Something that is elastic is able to stretch easily and then return to its original size and shape. 0
- adjective elastic If ideas, plans, or policies are elastic, they are able to change to suit new circumstances or conditions as they occur. 0
- countable noun elastic An elastic is a rubber band. 0
Information block about the term
Parts of speech for Elastic
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 83% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
elastic usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for elastic
- stretchy — having a tendency to stretch, especially excessively or unduly.
- over-expand — to increase in extent, size, volume, scope, etc.: Heat expands most metals. He hopes to expand his company.
- flexible — capable of being bent, usually without breaking; easily bent: a flexible ruler.
- resilient — springing back; rebounding.
- supple — bending readily without breaking or becoming deformed; pliant; flexible: a supple bough.
Antonyms for elastic
- rigid — stiff or unyielding; not pliant or flexible; hard: a rigid strip of metal.
- inflexible — not flexible; incapable of or resistant to being bent; rigid: an inflexible steel rod.
- hard — not soft; solid and firm to the touch; unyielding to pressure and impenetrable or almost impenetrable.
- stiff — rigid or firm; difficult or impossible to bend or flex: a stiff collar.
- unadaptable — capable of being adapted.
Top questions with elastic
- what is the elastic clause?
- if supply is elastic which statement is true?
- what does elastic clause mean?
- when demand is elastic?
- how to stretch elastic?
- what is an elastic collision?
- which of the following businesses has elastic supply?
- what is elastic potential energy?
- what does elastic mean?
- what does elastic heart mean?
- what is elastic demand?
- who sings elastic heart?
- what is elastic?
- what is perfectly elastic?
- what does unitary elastic demand mean?
- Words starting with e
- Words starting with el
- Words starting with ela
- Words starting with elas
- Words starting with elast
- Words starting with elasti
- Words starting with elastic
- Words containing the letters e
- Words containing the letters e,l
- Words containing the letters e,l,a
- Words containing the letters e,l,a,s
- Words containing the letters e,l,a,s,t
- Words containing the letters e,l,a,s,t,i
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?