Words starting with p
1 letter words starting with p
2 letter words starting with p
- p- — para-1 (sense 2) para-1 (sense 2b)
- p. — Paul (Johann von) [poul yoh-hahn fuh n] /paʊl ˈyoʊ hɑn fən/ (Show IPA), 1830–1914, German playwright, novelist, poet, and short-story writer: Nobel Prize 1910.
- pa — father.
- p. johnson — Andrew, 1808–75, seventeenth president of the U.S. 1865–69.
- p. more — Hannah, 1745–1833, English writer on religious subjects.
3 letter words starting with p
- p-q — manners; behavior; conduct (usually preceded by mind or watch): The children were told to mind their p's and q's.
- p/c — petty cash
- p/e — price/earnings (ratio)
- p/n — promissory note
- p2p — (networking) 1. The kind of communication found in a system using layered protocols. Each software or hardware component can be considered to communicate only with its peer in the same layer via the connection provided by the lower layers. 2. A decentralised file sharing system like BitTorrent, Gnutella or Kazaa where computers that download data also store that data and serve it to other downloaders. This increases the total bandwidth available in proportion to the number of users and so reduces download time. It also improves resilience by providing multiple redundant sources for the same data. This contrasts with client-server where all clients download the data from a single server (or mirror), sharing its fixed bandwidth. Peer-to-peer networks are typically ad-hoc and rely on users sharing the content they have downloaded for the benefit of other users. Users who fail to do this are called "leaches". A "seed" is a node on a peer-to-peer network that is sharing a complete copy of a file, as opposed to other nodes that may only have some of the parts into which the file has been split.
4 letter words starting with p
- p.f. — (Paul) Felix (Edler von Münzberg) [poul fey-liks eyd-luh r fuh n mynts-berk] /paʊl ˈfeɪ lɪks ˈeɪd lər fən ˈmüntsˌbɛrk/ (Show IPA), 1863–1942, Austrian composer, conductor, and writer.
- pa's — father.
- paal — a stake driven into the ground
- paba — para-aminobenzoic acid.
- pabx — (communications) (PABX) A telephone exchange operated within an organisation, used for switching calls between internal lines and between internal and PSTN lines. In contrast to a PMBX, a PABX can route calls without manual intervention, based entirely on the number dialed. Not all PABXs can route external calls to internal numbers automatically however.
5 letter words starting with p
- p'u-i — Pu-yi.
- p-i-n — p-type, intrinsic, n-type: a form of construction of semiconductor devices
- pablo — a male given name, Spanish form of Paul.
- pabst — G(eorge) W(ilhelm). 1885–1967, German film director, whose films include Joyless Street (1925), Pandora's Box (1929), and The Last Act (1954)
- paced — having a specified or indicated pace (usually used in combination): fast-paced.
6 letter words starting with p
- p-book — a printed book. Compare e-book.
- p-type — (of a semiconductor) having a density of mobile holes in excess of that of conduction electrons
- p-wave — a longitudinal earthquake wave that travels through the interior of the earth and is usually the first conspicuous wave to be recorded by a seismograph.
- p.j.'s — pajamas.
- p.o.'d — pissed off.
7 letter words starting with p
- pa'anga — a paper money, cupronickel coin, and monetary unit of Tonga equal to 100 seniti.
- pabulum — something that nourishes an animal or vegetable organism; food; nutriment.
- pacceka — Pratyeka.
- paceway — a racecourse for trotting and pacing
- pachisi — a board game, originated in ancient India, in which four players advance four pieces each along a route on a cross-shaped board toward a center square by throws of cowrie shells or dice.
8 letter words starting with p
- p-celtic — the subbranch of Celtic in which the Proto-Indo-European kw -sound became a p -sound. Welsh, Breton, Cornish, and Gaulish belong to P-Celtic.
- pachalic — pashalik.
- pachinko — a Japanese pinball game played on a vertical machine in which slots struck by the player's ball release other balls that in turn are exchanged for noncash prizes.
- pachmann — Vladimir de [vlad-uh-meer duh;; Russian vluh-dyee-myir de] /ˈvlæd əˌmɪər də;; Russian vlʌˈdyi myɪr dɛ/ (Show IPA), 1848–1933, Russian pianist.
- pachouli — a plant, Pogostemon cablin, of tropical Asia, that yields a fragrant oil (patchouli oil) used in the manufacture of perfumes.
9 letter words starting with p
- paasikivi — Juho Kusti [yoo -haw koo s-ti] /ˈyʊ hɔ ˈkʊs tɪ/ (Show IPA), 1870–1956, Finnish statesman: president 1946–56.
- pacemaker — pacesetter.
- pachelbel — Johann [yoh-hahn] /ˈyoʊ hɑn/ (Show IPA), 1653–1706, German organist and composer.
- pachomius — Saint, a.d. 292?–348? Egyptian ascetic: founder of the cenobitical form of monasticism.
- pachyderm — any of the thick-skinned, nonruminant ungulates, as the elephant, hippopotamus, and rhinoceros.
10 letter words starting with p
- pacesetter — a person, group, or organization that is the most progressive or successful and serves as a model to be imitated.
- pacificate — to pacify.
- pacificism — opposition to war or violence of any kind.
- pacifistic — of or relating to pacifism or pacifists.
- pack-horse — a horse used for carrying goods, freight, supplies, etc.
11 letter words starting with p
- pacesetting — a person, group, or organization that is the most progressive or successful and serves as a model to be imitated.
- pachydermic — any of the thick-skinned, nonruminant ungulates, as the elephant, hippopotamus, and rhinoceros.
- pachysandra — any plant of the genus Pachysandra, as the Allegheny spurge or Japanese spurge, the leaves of which grow in a rounded clump, widely used as a ground cover in the U.S.
- pacifically — peaceably, mildly, calmly, or quietly.
- pacificator — to pacify.
12 letter words starting with p
- pachydermous — any of the thick-skinned, nonruminant ungulates, as the elephant, hippopotamus, and rhinoceros.
- pacification — to pacify.
- paddle-wheel — a wheel for propelling a ship, having a number of paddles entering the water more or less perpendicularly.
- paedogenesis — sexual reproduction in an animal that retains its larval features
- paedophiliac — an adult who is sexually attracted to young children.
13 letter words starting with p
- paediatrician — A paediatrician is a doctor who specializes in treating sick children.
- paedomorphism — the continuation of juvenile characteristics in the adult stage
- painstakingly — taking or characterized by taking pains or trouble; expending or showing diligent care and effort; careful: a painstaking craftsman; painstaking research.
- palaeocurrent — an ancient current, esp of water, evidence of which has been preserved in sedimentary rocks as fossilized ripple marks, etc
- palaeoecology — the study of fossil animals and plants in order to deduce their ecology and the environmental conditions in which they lived
14 letter words starting with p
- pachydermatous — of, relating to, or characteristic of pachyderms.
- paddock-basher — a vehicle suited to driving on rough terrain
- paedomorphosis — the resemblance of adult animals to the young of their ancestors: seen in the evolution of modern man, who shows resemblances to the young stages of australopithecines
- palaeanthropic — relating to or denoting the earliest variety of man
- palaeethnology — the study of prehistoric man
15 letter words starting with p
- pachymeningitis — inflammation of the dura mater of the brain and spinal cord
- palaeogeography — the study of geographical features of the geological past
- palaeomagnetism — the study of the fossil magnetism in rocks, used to determine the past configurations of the continents and to investigate the past shape and magnitude of the earth's magnetic field
- palaeontography — the branch of palaeontology concerned with the description of fossils
- palaeopathology — the study of diseases of ancient man and fossil animals
16 letter words starting with p
- packet-switching — a method of efficient data transmission whereby the initial message is broken into relatively small units, or packets, that are routed independently and subsequently reassembled.
- paint-by-numbers — formulaic; showing no original thought or creativity
- paleoclimatology — the branch of paleogeography dealing with the study of paleoclimates.
17 letter words starting with p
- palaeoclimatology — the study of climates of the geological past
- palaeoethnobotany — the study of fossil seeds and grains to further archaeological knowledge, esp of the domestication of cereals
- paleoanthropology — the study of the origins and predecessors of the present human species, using fossils and other remains.
- paleobiochemistry — the study of biochemical processes that occurred in fossil life forms.
- paleobiogeography — the study of the distribution of ancient plants and animals and their relation to ancient geographic features.
18 letter words starting with p
19 letter words starting with p
- paleoanthropologist — the study of the origins and predecessors of the present human species, using fossils and other remains.
On this page, we collect all words starting with letter P. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 21168 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with P. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.