Words starting with ly
2 letter words starting with ly
- ly — (astronomy) abbreviation of lightyear.
3 letter words starting with ly
- lye — a highly concentrated, aqueous solution of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide.
- lyn — (Scotland) A waterfall.
- lys — a river in W Europe, in N France and W Belgium, flowing NE into the Scheldt River at Ghent. 120 miles (195 km) long.
- lye hominy — whole or ground hulled corn from which the bran and germ have been removed by bleaching the whole kernels in a lye bath (lye hominy) or by crushing and sifting (pearl hominy)
4 letter words starting with ly
5 letter words starting with ly
- lyard — streaked or spotted with gray or white.
- lyase — any of various enzymes, as decarboxylase, that catalyze reactions involving the formation of or addition to a double bond.
- lycee — a secondary school, especially in France, maintained by the government.
- lycia — an ancient country in SW Asia Minor: later a Roman province.
- lycos — (web) A web index, served by Carnegie Mellon University. It allows you to search on document title and content for a list of keywords. Lycos is probably the biggest such index on the web. By April 1995, the Lycos database contained 2.95 million unique documents. The Lycos database is built by a Web crawler that can bring in 5000 documents per day. The index searches document title, headings, links, and keywords it locates in these documents. The Lycos servers are efficient but overloaded. Failure to connect or "please try later" messages are common.
6 letter words starting with ly
- lyable — (obsolete) Variant spelling of liable.
- lyapas — (Russian acronym for "Logical Language for the Representation of Synthesis Algorithms") A language for the URAL-1 computer. It was coded in octal!
- lyases — Plural form of lyase.
- lycaon — a king of Arcadia said to have offered Zeus a plate of human flesh to learn whether the god was omniscient
- lyceum — an institution for popular education providing discussions, lectures, concerts, etc.
7 letter words starting with ly
- lyautey — Louis Hubert Gonzalve [lwee y-ber gawn-zalv] /lwi üˈbɛr gɔ̃ˈzalv/ (Show IPA), 1854–1934, French marshal: resident general of Morocco 1912–16, 1917–25.
- lyceums — Plural form of lyceum.
- lychees — Plural form of lychee.
- lychnis — any showy-flowered plant belonging to the genus Lychnis, of the pink family.
- lycopod — any erect or creeping, mosslike, evergreen plant of the genus Lycopodium, as the club moss or ground pine.
8 letter words starting with ly
- lyallpur — a city in NE Pakistan.
- lycaenid — A member of the taxonomic family 'Lycaenidae'.
- lycaonia — an ancient country in S Asia Minor: later a Roman province.
- lychgate — A roofed gateway to a churchyard, formerly used during burials for sheltering a coffin until the clergyman’s arrival.
- lycopene — a red crystalline substance, C 40 H 56 , that is the main pigment of certain fruits, as the tomato and paprika, and is a precursor to carotene in plant biosynthesis.
9 letter words starting with ly
- lycopolis — the Ancient Greek name for Asyut
- lycopsids — Plural form of lycopsid.
- lyke-wake — a watch held over a dead person, often with festivities
- lymington — a market town in S England, in SW Hampshire, on the Solent: yachting centre and holiday resort. Pop: 14 227 (2001)
- lymphatic — pertaining to, containing, or conveying lymph.
10 letter words starting with ly
11 letter words starting with ly
12 letter words starting with ly
- lycanthropes — Plural form of lycanthrope.
- lycanthropic — a delusion in which one imagines oneself to be a wolf or other wild animal.
- lymphadenoma — an enlarged lymph node.
- lymphangioma — a benign tumor composed of dilated and newly formed lymph vessels.
- lymphangitis — inflammation of the lymphatic vessels.
13 letter words starting with ly
14 letter words starting with ly
- lymphangiogram — an X-ray of the lymphatic system taken after a contrast agent has been injected, often used to diagnose lymphoma
- lymphedematous — Relating to lymphedema.
- lymphoglandula — (anatomy) An alternative name for a lymph node.
- lyophilisation — Alternative spelling of lyophilization.
- lyophilization — (of tissue, blood, serum, or the like) to dry by freezing in a high vacuum.
15 letter words starting with ly
- lymphadenectomy — the excision of one or more lymph nodes, usually as a procedure in the surgical removal or destruction of a cancer.
- lymphadenopathy — chronically swollen lymph nodes.
- lymphocytopenia — (pathology) An abnormally low level of lymphocytes in the blood.
- lymphogranuloma — any of certain diseases characterized by granulomatous lesions of lymph nodes.
16 letter words starting with ly
17 letter words starting with ly
19 letter words starting with ly
20 letter words starting with ly
26 letter words starting with ly
- lymphadenopathy-associated virus — See under AIDS virus. Abbreviation: LAV.
On this page, we collect all words starting with LY. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 297 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with LY. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.