Words starting with arch
4 letter words starting with arch
- arch — An arch is a structure that is curved at the top and is supported on either side by a pillar, post, or wall.
- arch beam — a crowned metal beam, as of the deck of a ship.
- arch board — a distinctive area at the upper part of a stern, curving upward toward the center and giving the name and port of the vessel within a carved and painted frame; escutcheon.
- arch brace — a curved brace, especially one of a pair used to give the effect of an arch in a roof frame.
- arch dam — a dam that is curved in the horizontal plane and usually built of concrete, in which the horizontal thrust is taken by abutments in the sides of a valley. Arch dams must be built on solid rock, as a yielding material would cause a failure
5 letter words starting with arch
6 letter words starting with arch
7 letter words starting with arch
- archaea — an order of prokaryotic microorganisms
- archaic — Archaic means extremely old or extremely old-fashioned.
- archbsd — (operating system) 4.4 BSD-Lite for the Acorn Archimedes.
- archean — designating or of the geologic eon characterized by the development of the first igneous and metamorphic rocks and the first marine microorganisms; Precambrian, esp. early Precambrian
- archeo- — archaeo-
8 letter words starting with arch
- archaeal — relating to or involving the order Archaea
- archaean — any member of the Archaea, a domain of prokaryotic microorganisms, distinguished from bacteria on molecular phylogenetic grounds and often found in hostile environments, such as volcanic vents and hot springs
- archaeo- — indicating ancient or primitive time or condition
- archaeon — A microorganism, physically resembling a bacterium, of the kingdom Archaea.
- archaise — Standard spelling of from=non-Oxford.
9 letter words starting with arch
- archabbey — An abbey which is the seat of an archabbot (high monastic rank within an order or congregation).
- archabbot — In certain Catholic (notably Benedictine) congregations, the title of the general superior, ranking above all other abbots, vested in a particular abbey, which hence is called an archabbey (usually its motherhouse, such as Beuron, which gave its name to a Benedictine congregation).
- archaeol. — archaeology
- archaical — Archaic form of archaic.
- archaisms — Plural form of archaism.
10 letter words starting with arch
- archaicism — an archaism
- archaistic — something archaic, as a word or expression.
- archangels — Plural form of archangel.
- archbishop — In the Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican Churches, an archbishop is a bishop of the highest rank, who is in charge of all the bishops and priests in a particular country or region.
- archdeacon — An archdeacon is a high-ranking clergyman who works as an assistant to a bishop, especially in the Anglican church.
11 letter words starting with arch
- archaeocyte — (in sponges) a type of amoebocyte capable of developing into other types of cells, especially reproductive cells.
- archaeology — Archaeology is the study of the societies and peoples of the past by examining the remains of their buildings, tools, and other objects.
- archaeornis — an extinct primitive Jurassic bird, formerly placed in the genus Archaeornis but now thought to be a species of archaeopteryx
- archaeozoic — Archeozoic
- archaically — marked by the characteristics of an earlier period; antiquated: an archaic manner; an archaic notion.
12 letter words starting with arch
- archaeologic — Pertaining to archaeology.
- archaeometry — the use of science and modern technology in archaeology to examine and interpret archaeological remains
- archaization — Process of becoming or turning something more archaic.
- archdeaconry — the office, rank, or duties of an archdeacon
- archdiocesan — Relating to an archdiocese.
13 letter words starting with arch
- archaelogical — Nonstandard spelling of archaeological.
- archaeobotany — the analysis and interpretation of plant remains found at archaeological sites
- archaeologian — (archaic) An archaeologist.
- archaeologist — a specialist in archaeology, the scientific study of prehistoric peoples and their cultures by analysis of their artifacts, inscriptions, monuments, etc.
- archaeometric — relating to archaeometry
14 letter words starting with arch
- archaebacteria — (formerly) a group of microorganisms now regarded as members of the Archaea
- archaeocyathid — one of the marine invertebrates of the extinct phylum Archaeocyatha, widely distributed during the Cambrian Period, having a limy, typically conical or cylindrical skeleton composed of sievelike inner and outer walls.
- archaeological — of or relating to archaeology.
- archaeologists — Plural form of archaeologist.
- archaeometrist — a person who uses archaeometry
15 letter words starting with arch
- archaeastronomy — (astronomy, archaeology) The historical, especially archeological, study of astronomy; the study of the astronomical systems and methods of ancient cultures often embracing the astrology and cosmology of the past.
- archaebacterium — Any primitive bacteria-like organism in the kingdom Archaea.
- archaeobotanist — A person engaged in archaeobotany.
- archeoastronomy — the branch of archaeology that deals with the apparent use by prehistoric civilizations of astronomical techniques to establish the seasons or the cycle of the year, especially as evidenced in the construction of megaliths and other ritual structures.
- archeologically — In a archeological manner or fashion.
16 letter words starting with arch
- archaeoastronomy — the scientific study of the beliefs and practices concerning astronomy that existed in ancient and prehistoric civilizations
- archaeologically — In an archaeological manner.
- archaeomagnetism — an archaeological technique for dating certain clay objects by measuring the extent to which they have been magnetized by the earth's magnetic field
- archconservative — consistently holding extremely conservative views: publisher of the city's archconservative newspaper.
- archaeomagnetism dating — the dating of archaeological specimens by determination of the magnetic alignment of objects containing ferromagnetic materials, as baked clay pots, within undisturbed archaeological sites.
17 letter words starting with arch
On this page, we collect all words starting with ARCH. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 249 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with ARCH. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.