Words starting with an
2 letter words starting with an
- an — An is used instead of 'a', the indefinite article, in front of words that begin with vowel sounds.
- an arm and a leg — If you say that something costs an arm and a leg, you mean that it is very expensive.
- an eye for an eye — You say 'an eye for an eye' or 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth' to refer to the idea that people should be punished according to the way in which they offended, for example if they hurt someone, they should be hurt equally badly in return.
- an lu shan — 703–57 ad, Chinese military governor. He declared himself emperor (756) and seized the capital Chang An; murdered by a eunuch slave
- an nafud — Nefud Desert.
3 letter words starting with an
4 letter words starting with an
- ana- — up; upwards
- anal — Anal means relating to the anus of a person or animal.
- anam — a former kingdom and French protectorate along the E coast of French Indochina: now part of Vietnam.
- anas — a collection of miscellaneous information about a particular subject, person, place, or thing.
- anax — one of the Gigantes and father of Asterius.
5 letter words starting with an
- anat. — anatomical
- anata — (in Theravada Buddhism) the belief that since all things are constantly changing, there can be no such thing as a permanent, unchanging self: one of the three basic characteristics of existence
- anaya — Rudolfo [roo-dol-foh] /ruˈdɒl foʊ/ (Show IPA), born 1937, U.S. author.
- ancho — a Poblano chilli pepper that has been dried and turned a dark-red or black colour
- ancon — a projecting bracket or console supporting a cornice
6 letter words starting with an
- anabas — any of several labyrinth fishes of the genus Anabas, esp the climbing fish
- anadem — a garland for the head
- anadyr — a town in Russia, in NE Siberia at the mouth of the Anadyr River; the capital of Chukot Autonomous Okrug. Pop: 11 038 (2002)
- anally — of, pertaining to, involving, or near the anus.
- analog — Analog technology involves measuring, storing, or recording an infinitely variable amount of information by using physical quantities such as voltage.
7 letter words starting with an
- anaemia — Anaemia is a medical condition in which there are too few red cells in your blood, causing you to feel tired and look pale.
- anaemic — Someone who is anaemic suffers from anaemia.
- anagoge — allegorical or spiritual interpretation, esp of sacred works such as the Bible
- anagogy — anagoge.
- anagram — An anagram is a word or phrase formed by changing the order of the letters in another word or phrase. For example, 'triangle' is an anagram of 'integral'.
8 letter words starting with an
- an-najaf — Najaf.
- anabaena — any freshwater alga of the genus Anabaena, sometimes occurring in drinking water, giving it a fishy taste and smell
- anabases — any small fish of the genus Anabas, of ponds and swamps in Africa and southeastern Asia.
- anabasis — the march of Cyrus the Younger and his Greek mercenaries from Sardis to Cunaxa in Babylonia in 401 bc, described by Xenophon in his Anabasis
- anabatic — (of air currents) rising upwards, esp up slopes
9 letter words starting with an
- anabantid — any of various spiny-finned fishes constituting the family Anabantidae and including the fighting fish, climbing perch, and gourami
- anabasine — a colorless, poisonous liquid, C 10 H 14 N 2 , used as an insecticide.
- anabiosis — the ability to return to life after apparent death; suspended animation
- anabiotic — a bringing back to consciousness; reanimation after apparent death.
- anabolism — a metabolic process in which complex molecules are synthesized from simpler ones with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism
10 letter words starting with an
- anabaptism — a member of any of various Protestant sects, formed in Europe after 1520, that denied the validity of infant baptism, baptized believers only, and advocated social and economic reforms as well as the complete separation of church and state.
- anabaptist — a member of any of various 16th-century Protestant movements that rejected infant baptism, insisted that adults be rebaptized, and sought to establish Christian communism
- anachorism — a geographical misplacement; something located in an incongruous position
- anachronic — out of chronological order or out of date
- anaclastic — relating to refraction
11 letter words starting with an
- anacanthous — having no spines or thorns.
- anachronism — You say that something is an anachronism when you think that it is out of date or old-fashioned.
- anachronous — relating to anachronism; misplaced chronologically
- anacoenosis — a figure of speech in which an appeal is made to one's listeners or opponents for their opinion or judgment as to the subject under discussion.
- anacoluthia — lack of grammatical sequence, esp within a single sentence
12 letter words starting with an
- anacrogynous — having the female sex organs arising from any cell below the apex of the stem, thereby not terminating its growth, as certain liverworts.
- anaerobiosis — life in the absence of oxygen
- anaesthetics — the science, study, and practice of anaesthesia and its application
- anaesthetise — anesthetize.
- anaesthetist — An anaesthetist is a doctor who specializes in giving anaesthetics to patients.
13 letter words starting with an
- anachronistic — You say that something is anachronistic when you think that it is out of date or old-fashioned.
- anaerobically — (of an organism or tissue) living in the absence of air or free oxygen.
- anaesthetised — anesthetize.
- anaesthetized — anesthetize.
- anagrammatize — to arrange into an anagram
14 letter words starting with an
- anacardiaceous — of, relating to, or belonging to the Anacardiaceae, a chiefly tropical family of trees and shrubs many of which have edible drupes. The family includes the cashew, mango, pistachio, and sumach
- anachronically — something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time: The sword is an anachronism in modern warfare.
- anaglyphoscope — a pair of spectacles for viewing an anaglyph.
- anal-retentive — having an anal character.
- anamorphoscope — an optical device, such as a cylindrical lens, for correcting an image that has been distorted by anamorphosis
15 letter words starting with an
- anaesthesiology — the science of administering anesthetics.
- ancylostomiasis — infestation of the human intestine with blood-sucking hookworms, causing progressive anaemia
- andromonoecious — (of a plant species) having hermaphrodite and male flowers on the same plant
- androstenedione — a weak hormone, C19H26O2, produced by the ovaries, testes, and adrenal glands as a precursor to estrogen, testosterone, etc.: formerly taken in a concentrated tablet or capsule form as by some bodybuilders
- anesthetization — to render physically insensible, as by an anesthetic.
16 letter words starting with an
- anathematization — to pronounce an anathema against; denounce; curse.
- ancienne-lorette — a town in S Quebec, in E Canada.
- anesthesiologist — An anesthesiologist is a doctor who specializes in giving anaesthetics to patients.
- anglo-australian — belonging, relating to, or involving England and Australia, or the people of the two countries.
- analogue-digital converter — a device converting an analogue electrical signal into a digital representation so that it can be processed by a digital system
17 letter words starting with an
- anaesthesiologist — anesthesiology.
- angiocardiography — the making of X-ray pictures of the heart and its blood vessels after injecting a radiopaque substance
- anglo-catholicism — the tradition or form of worship in the Anglican Church that emphasizes Catholicity, the apostolic succession, and the continuity of all churches within the communion with pre-Reformation Christianity as well as the importance of liturgy and ritual.
18 letter words starting with an
- angiotensinogenase — (enzyme) renin.
19 letter words starting with an
On this page, we collect all words starting with AN. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 3559 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with AN. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.