Words ending with oid
4 letter words ending with oid
- -oid — (jargon) (from "android") A suffix used as in mainstream English to indicate a poor imitation, a counterfeit, or some otherwise slightly bogus resemblance. Hackers will happily use it with all sorts of non-Greco/Latin stem words that wouldn't keep company with it in mainstream English. For example, "He's a nerdoid" means that he superficially resembles a nerd but can't make the grade; a "modemoid" might be a 300-baud modem (Real Modems run at 144000 or up); a "computeroid" might be any bitty box. "-oid" can also mean "resembling an android", which was once confined to science-fiction fans and hackers. It too has recently (in 1991) started to go mainstream (most notably in the term "trendoid" for victims of terminal hipness). This is probably traceable to the popularisation of the term droid in "Star Wars" and its sequels. Coinages in both forms have been common in science fiction for at least fifty years, and hackers (who are often SF fans) have probably been making "-oid" jargon for almost that long (though GLS and ESR can personally confirm only that they were already common in the mid-1970s).
- foid — (geology, colloquial) Alternative form of feldspathoid.
- hoid — Eye dialect of heard, representing NYC.
- loid — to open (a locked door) by sliding a thin piece of celluloid or plastic between the door edge and doorframe to force open a spring lock.
- ooid — (geology) A small calcium carbonate or iron coated grain found on the seafloor.
5 letter words ending with oid
- aroid — of, relating to, or belonging to the Araceae, a family of plants having small flowers massed on a spadix surrounded by a large petaloid spathe. The family includes arum, calla, and anthurium
- avoid — If you avoid something unpleasant that might happen, you take action in order to prevent it from happening.
- axoid — a curve formed by a point revolving around an advancing axis
- droid — android.
- geoid — an imaginary surface that coincides with mean sea level in the ocean and its extension through the continents.
6 letter words ending with oid
- -ploid — indicating a specific multiple of a single set of chromosomes
- algoid — resembling or relating to algae
- cleoid — a claw-shaped dental instrument used to remove carious material from a cavity.
- conoid — a geometric surface formed by rotating a parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola about one axis
- cuboid — A cuboid is a solid object with two square surfaces and four rectangular surfaces. Each surface of a cuboid is the same size as the one opposite to it.
7 letter words ending with oid
8 letter words ending with oid
- -coccoid — like a (specified kind of) coccus
- actinoid — having a radiate form, as a sea anemone or starfish
- albinoid — Of or pertaining to an animal or person with albinism.
- alkaloid — any of a group of nitrogenous basic compounds found in plants, typically insoluble in water and physiologically active. Common examples are morphine, strychnine, quinine, nicotine, and caffeine
- amberoid — a synthetic amber made by compressing pieces of amber and other resins together at a high temperature
9 letter words ending with oid
- acanthoid — resembling a spine; spiny
- allantoid — relating to or resembling the allantois
- alopecoid — resembling a fox
- aneuploid — (of polyploid cells or organisms) having a chromosome number that is not an exact multiple of the haploid number, caused by one chromosome set being incomplete
- arachnoid — the middle of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord
10 letter words ending with oid
- albumenoid — Alternative form of albuminoid.
- albuminoid — resembling albumin
- amianthoid — a fine variety of asbestos, with delicate, flexible filaments.
- amphiploid — a hybrid organism having a diploid set of chromosomes from each parental species.
- amygdaloid — a volcanic igneous rock containing amygdales
11 letter words ending with oid
12 letter words ending with oid
- amphidiploid — a plant originating from hybridization between two species in which the chromosome number is the sum of the chromosome numbers of both parental species. It behaves as an independent species
- antherozooid — Alternative form of antherozoid.
- bioflavonoid — any of a group of biologically active flavone compounds that may help maintain the blood's capillary walls, reducing the likelihood of hemorrhaging: widely found in plants, esp. citrus fruits
- caesalpinoid — of, relating to, or belonging to the Caesalpinoideae, a mainly tropical subfamily of leguminous plants that have irregular flowers: includes carob, senna, brazil, cassia, and poinciana
- capsaicinoid — (organic chemistry) Any of a class of irritant compounds, related to capsaicin, that are responsible for the heat of chilli peppers.
13 letter words ending with oid
- allopolyploid — (of cells, organisms, etc) having more than two sets of haploid chromosomes inherited from different species
- anaphylactoid — Of, pertaining to, or resembling anaphylaxis.
- autopolyploid — (of cells, organisms, etc) having more than two sets of haploid chromosomes inherited from a single species
- clinopinacoid — (in monoclinic crystals) the plane that is parallel to both the vertical and the inclined lateral axes
- endopolyploid — relating to endopolyploidy
14 letter words ending with oid
- allotetraploid — a hybrid cell or individual possessing four times the chromosomes in a haploid organism
- autotetraploid — an individual or strain whose chromosome complement consists of four copies of a single genome due to doubling of an ancestral chromosome complement
- brachypinakoid — the side parallel to the shorter horizontal axis in a crystal
- cercopithecoid — of, relating to, or belonging to the primate superfamily Cercopithecoidea (Old World monkeys)
- corticosteroid — any steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex that affects carbohydrate, protein, and electrolyte metabolism, gonad function, and immune response
15 letter words ending with oid
16 letter words ending with oid
- pithecanthropoid — of, relating to, or resembling the former genus Pithecanthropus or one of its members.
17 letter words ending with oid
- mineralocorticoid — Biochemistry. any of a group of corticosteroid hormones, synthesized by the adrenal cortex, that regulate the excretion or reabsorption of sodium and potassium by the kidneys, salivary glands, and sweat glands.
19 letter words ending with oid
- sternocleidomastoid — of, relating to, or involving the sternum, the clavicle, and the mastoid process.
20 letter words ending with oid
- adrenocorticosteroid — corticosteroid
On this page, we collect all words that ending in OID. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 579 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that ends in OID that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.